Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Return to the Fray - What did I miss?  (Read 2841 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Return to the Fray - What did I miss?
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:06:32 pm »

Yep, it's me.  Last version I played was actually just after minecarts were released.  If my records are to be believes, that was  34.10 - seeking to get back into the game, what's new and what's fun, or what's unknown and Fun?  Any new utility programs or changes or anything at all worth mentioning?

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Return to the Fray - What did I miss?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:38:46 pm »

Don't think much has changed, I've been a casual player of late, so I suppose I'm not the best one to answer this question. I suppose everyone's waiting for the next update.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:02:36 pm »

Oh, read the update reports, it will add free running, climbing, tracking, new sites for elves, gobbos, dwarves, multi tile trees, and more!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:14:13 pm »

Welcome back!
You came back right before what looks like a big adventure mode overhaul. When the update happens adventurers should be able to participate in everything from tree jumping to armed village insurrection (also tracking will be a real thing and conversations will be more free form).
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:45:06 pm »

And minecarts have added a new layer to dwarven computer logic. And traps. And quantum stockpiling.

But yes, next update, we'll have goblins scaling walls and elves that live in trees like the hippies they are.

Also multitile trees.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:45:54 pm »

If my records are to be believes, that was  34.10
That was the last version. The current version, 34.11, was released last June, and there's been a bit of a wait since then while Toady goes on a coding spree. Nothing much new, just some bugfixes.

The most notable change, off the top of my head, is that armour counts as clothing now, so your steel-clad warriors won't feel naked and angry any more. Other than that, it's mostly changes to utilities. DFHack has gotten a big upgrade, with some of its functions loaded into the game interface itself, and the splinterz branch of Dwarf Therapist has some new shinies for keeping track of your dwarves' thoughts, preferences, and labour suitability.

Edit: Ooh, I remembered something else. Beatings are now administered with the fists and not with the weapon the dwarf is holding, so no more equipping your fortress guard with bone crossbows unless you want the crossbows as actual weapons.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:54:16 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 01:57:37 pm »

I can't remember exactly which version it was, but flowing water now removes the "stagnant" attribute instead of the other way round now.  You still get stagnant pools, but if you channel in flowing water that all gets "fixed" and becomes fresh again.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 02:29:05 pm »

Any new utility programs or changes or anything at all worth mentioning?

Er well Talvieno did a RandCreatures program

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119625.0

Its left me trying to train some vicious eight legged egg layers called whoulouges. And when the goblins invade they invariably are lead by a Grony Dimir   The elves have beasts of burden that know a skill or two, and there's another creature that is basically a blood balloon (one arrow and pop - very disappointed hunters, no butchery)
And in my next world it'll be another whole new lot of undiscovered weirdness!

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:33 pm »

If you follow DF stories, Bravemule finally wrapped up. More than worth a read/watch/listen.

But yeah, at this point everyone is scouring the devlog and waiting for the new release. Multitile trees and competing entity claims!
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 05:17:39 pm »

Glad to see you're back!

Check out Modest Mod for some bug fixes.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105871.0

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 05:43:18 pm »

Welcome back!

I've read tons of your old posts, glad to see you are with us again.

The only differences between .10 and .11 are bugfixes; nothing like .07 to .08 .
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

eliphas8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 12:52:26 am »

Yay! The Dwarven Child Care guy is back! As far as I know not much has changed but we should be getting a major update in the immediate future so you're here just in time for that.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 03:28:24 am »

Yay! The Dwarven Child Care guy is back! As far as I know not much has changed but we should be getting a major update in the immediate future so you're here just in time for that.

(lady)

anyway I took up DFHack and started doing various things that I would have immediately dismissed as impossible, so that's all fun

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 02:37:22 pm »

(lady)

anyway I took up DFHack and started doing various things that I would have immediately dismissed as impossible, so that's all fun
Dwarf Fortress -- teaching people to try the impossible, on they off chance they don't fail horribly. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"