Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eador  (Read 4282 times)

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
Eador
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:23:46 pm »

So after searching for this came up with two dead threads, I figure a combined thread about both games and the universe is warranted. For those of you not in the know, Eador is basically like Heroes of Might and Magic on steroids, and not simplified in the least. Or, rather, Eador: Genesis isn't simplified. Masters of the Broken World may or may not be, but according to some beta footage off youtube, they both look rather deep. For information on how to buy these games, go to http://www.gog.com/gamecard/eador_genesis and http://www.gog.com/gamecard/eador_masters_of_the_broken_world, for Genesis and MotBW, respectively. You can also get the games off steam, but GOG doesn't have DRM so it's a no-brainer for me.

On that note, here's my analysis:
What Eador has:
Eador has size. Lots of size: Even the tiny worlds (or shards) are huge, in a sense. Each of the provinces are randomly selected and placed, and each can be considered a world of it's own. For example, you may explore a province until that province is 100% explored, and find various random events and even dungeons in there. It is to be noted that you cannot dungeon dive, like in a roguelike or adventure game. But you can make your heroes enter and fight the monsters/brigands there, and get loot and XP. Exploring grants XP as well, so do it often. Another benefit to exploration is that the population can expand into explored territory, but can't with unexplored.
Eador has detail. When you conquer a province without negotiating, the people of the province may grow discontent and may rebel against your rule. As such, it is a good idea to be nice to your people, in random events and with rituals such as extravaganza. In masters of the world the game has a karma system, and while I'm unclear on the long term consequences for being evil, I know that in immediate terms your populace may grow rebellious. Aside from good or bad, Eador has stamina, and good use of stamina and the statistics is critical to winning battles.
Eador has difficulty. My god is this game hardcore. You can, of course, go back in time, but the game includes, at least in Genesis, a penalty for going back each turn. This penalty applies to the metagame of the game, so be careful.
Eador is not:
Eador is NOT casual, and NOT simple. It's a deep game, and a very hard one at that. Do keep that in mind if you intend to buy it.
Eador (Genesis) is NOT graphically intensive, and as such can be run on a number of PC's, but it lacks quality in this department.

[End Analysis]

On that note, discuss this great series.  :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eador
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:08:35 pm »

while I'm unclear on the long term consequences for being evil

According to the game when you are good a lot of positive events and positive outcomes for events occur.

When you have a lot of bad karma a lot of negative events and negative outcomes for events occur.

It is supposed to balance out and in many ways it does... But it is often too difficult to attempt to be good because of the requirement of needing to subjugate the countryside.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:24:23 pm »

I actually don't recall hanging on to a good karma being all that difficult, per se. Stick to the right selections when the events pop up (which isn't 100% even if you always choose the same ones, but it works out on the net) and don't use the chaotic troops or the chaotic spells schools and you're in pretty good shape. The biggest problem, to the extent that it is a problem, is that you generally get less short-term resources (long term, though, often ends up in order's favor, iirc. The biggest short term hang up is you have to bribe the everything, just about.) and you need a ranger or ranger multiclass to pick up diplomacy in order to get your paws on the neutral races.

Or you can just wait until the enemy jacks 'em and then kick the enemy out. That keeps you from getting a karma hit.

Downside is that the chaotic troops are, well. They're actually pretty darn good, and usually cheaper. Especially in conjunction with necromancy, being chaotic brings quite a few very nice tools to the table.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 04:49:52 pm »

Chaotic troops come at hidden costs.

The problem is Frumple is you need a LOT of good karma to make up for being good. Just making sure you own the country side without bribes is enough that you might as well have been evil the whole time.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:02:36 pm »

... hidden costs like...?

I do remember there's a couple that actively increase unrest or something along those lines, but... those ones were crap anyway. Don't get me wrong, not all of them were good, heh, just like the order ones have their issues (like upkeep, ferex, and movement range). But a full chaos army (barbs/shamans starting out, branching from there) was quite solid for getting off the ground, especially with some zombie backup. Later you just drown them in ghosts or whatever.

Bribing was actually one of the things you do to stay good, though. Getting through the joint without bribes or diplomacy (i.e. murder everything) is how you make the place a land of tar and bad events. I don't remember if that was good karma or just no karma, but attacking when you can bribe is just about th'best way to wrack up chaos like it's going out of style. Diploranger and some bribe money is basically the stage one method of staying in good graces.
Ask not!
Ask!

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 05:10:39 pm »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the actual system requirements of this game is? I once considered getting it, but the requirements on GoG seemed a bit too high, for my hand-me-down laptop, and I decided not to. I got King of Dragon Pass instead, and I found that on GoG it also listed the same requirements as for Eador... in spite of the fact that King of Dragon Pass is a game almost as old as I am, and it ran perfectly fine in spite of not having the "requirements".

According to GoG, it is:

1 GHz Processor, 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)

but on MobyGames it is considerably less. So, do you guys think that this horrible laptop could run it?

1.6 GHz Processor, .99 GB RAM is what I actually have.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 05:13:45 pm »

I didn't know invading to expand territory - a fairly straightforward method, considering that bribes(which would imply corrupt politcs in most cases) requires a specific hero - was evil. Huh. Especially since that with a skilled ranger, you can bribe even Medusa Swamp guards, which apparently involve offering them human settlers to expand their statuaries(ingame result: non-disbandable guards that reduce population growth. I forget if they affect province morale).

Then again, I use the archer hero in the early game, since it is simply easier to bribe, and he can kill off most anything in the game at his level, until I can amass enough gear to kit out a ridiculously powerful lvl 1 warrior(and if that's not possible, War Elephants).

I haven't tried playing evil yet. Most of the good options for random events are things that a reasonable leader would do most of the time. Plus, I find shamans to be basically pin cushions for my archers. I would like to try out battlemages, though.

Ninja:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the actual system requirements of this game is? I once considered getting it, but the requirements on GoG seemed a bit too high, for my hand-me-down laptop, and I decided not to. I got King of Dragon Pass instead, and I found that on GoG it also listed the same requirements as for Eador... in spite of the fact that King of Dragon Pass is a game almost as old as I am, and it ran perfectly fine in spite of not having the "requirements".

According to GoG, it is:

1 GHz Processor, 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)

but on MobyGames it is considerably less. So, do you guys think that this horrible laptop could run it?

1.6 GHz Processor, .99 GB RAM is what I actually have.
That should be fine. It does not have anything spectacular, graphics( engine)-wise. You might see slowdown on large shards(maps) though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 05:17:12 pm »

^ That's what I had thought at first, and a big reason why I wanted this game. Thanks for confirming my suspicions that the "requirements" weren't really what was necessary.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:19:55 pm »

considering that bribes(which would imply corrupt politcs in most cases) requires a specific hero

They don't... it is just that without the bribe reduction they are WAAAAY too expensive.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 05:30:48 pm »

Mm... several of them do, actually. Especially with the neutral races. There's more than a couple province capture events you can't come out of with good karma without a certain level of diplomacy. Bit of a pain, honestly.

E: Though I guess technically it's not so much a specific hero inasmuch as a specific skill. S'just that being a ranger or multiclassing into it is the only way to get the skill (that I can recall, anyway).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:34:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:27 am »

Eador (Genesis) is NOT graphically intensive, and as such can be run on a number of PC's, but it lacks quality in this department.

I would disagree that the graphics aren't quality. I think they are lovely. They certainly aren't modern but that's what I loved about them when I first started playing Eador genesis. It reminded me of when my friends and I used to play hotseat HoMM2.

I liked Eador quite a bit but I found that once you understood the game it was very hard to lose. This ruined the replayability factor for me, but it was pretty fun to play when I was still learning the ropes.

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 11:28:56 am »

So, I just got the beta for Masters of the Broken World. While still worryingly buggy, and lacking sound effects for many units, I still enjoy it. I hope that they iron out the kinks before the 19th comes up, though.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 11:42:57 am »

First time hear about this game, and as a fan of heroes, I must ask, is there a multiplayer hot seat mod?
Make love not war

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 04:16:33 pm »

First time hear about this game, and as a fan of heroes, I must ask, is there a multiplayer hot seat mod?
Hotseat mode is in the game and it's the only type of multiplyer in Eador:genesis. Although it's possible to play "Hotseat" through internet by using for example TeamViewer - one player needs to have good enough connection to stream his own game to the other thou.

Also I tried to do multiplayer by using GoogleDrive (like automatic PBEM) - system works well but the game doesn't seem to save after each player's turn on my PC. Some people on GOG forums told me its saving for them on every turn so it may be possible but unfortunately not for me.