Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UI to show skills and jobs as a scrollable grid  (Read 621 times)

PaulMurrayCbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
UI to show skills and jobs as a scrollable grid
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:49:14 pm »

It would be nice to see the dwarf skills and job assignments as a scrollable grid. The columns for job preferences could be organised hierarchically following the existing menus so that you could collapse/expand the hunting-related category and see individually which dwarves are doing what in more or less detail.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: UI to show skills and jobs as a scrollable grid
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:32:25 pm »

Dwarf Therapist can do that. It's not built into the game, but honestly I'm not sure how well that even *could* be done well in a text based interface.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 05:12:26 am »

DFHack now comes with the Dwarf Manipulator plugin that does just that. It can be accessed from the [u]nit screen with [l]. It works pretty well, but you need a small tileset and/or large screen to get the most out of it (though you can zoom out if necessary).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:51:19 pm »

One thing that I always try to mention in threads about UI is the reason Toady delays it.

Major updates relating to whatever aspect of the game is associated with the UI will require changing the UI. This means that, by the end of the game, a bit of UI implemented in the beginning will either have been tinkered with umpteen times or completely replaced at least ones. Neither endless tinkering nor periodic complete replacements are ideal, so (AFAIK) Toady intends to get the game mostly done, then worry about the interface once it won't need to be changed again.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:19 pm »

One thing that I always try to mention in threads about UI is the reason Toady delays it.

Major updates relating to whatever aspect of the game is associated with the UI will require changing the UI. This means that, by the end of the game, a bit of UI implemented in the beginning will either have been tinkered with umpteen times or completely replaced at least ones. Neither endless tinkering nor periodic complete replacements are ideal, so (AFAIK) Toady intends to get the game mostly done, then worry about the interface once it won't need to be changed again.

Actually, incremental tinkering is ideal, so that entire line of argument is invalid.

Much of the problem Toady has with interfaces is that he doesn't understand them because he doesn't want to deal with them, and he thinks he can just solve it all in one go at some undefined point in the future, and he's kidding himself if he thinks that.

Spoiler: long version (click to show/hide)

In fact, there's little stopping Toady from going into allowing full "graphics" like with creatures, instead of being limited to two colors. As far as I can tell, he's mostly just too attached to the hard-coded tricks he put in when he was trying to be clever with the not-really-ASCII; For example, the " sign used for kobolds in the darkness turning into a ' when you put out an eye.

Meanwhile, if he simply embraced layered graphics, you could actually do something similar with graphics.  Again, you can just have a "single eye" graphic and a "both eyes" graphic.  It's just not "clever" if you use the proper tools for the job instead of trying to repurpose fonts into images, that's all.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 01:59:36 pm »

Incremental tinkering is a bit of a vague term...

If you're tweaking each little bit a little whenever you need to to keep the shiny bit of UI functioning (as opposed to redesigning it each time), you end up with something...well, something roughly analogous to the human body, with its recurrent larengial nerve and its poorly-placed prostate and the eye and all of those issues which make Creationists squirm. In my humble opinion, it would be better to keep a minimalistic UI shell over the innards of DF until said innards have finished their development, rather than have an overcomplicated bunch of UI or a lot of time spent on UI which we don't really need to play DF.

Obviously, once the game is built, whatever interface is there can be carefully deconstructed and a new one which fits quite well constructed, but this takes time and forces tinkering with new features, and so should probably be delayed until the innards are finished.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 02:33:34 pm »

The problem is, you're conflating "shiny new interface" with "an interface that actually performs a vital mechanical task of providing the player with information they need to make decisions". 

Once again, there are tons of low-hanging fruit like sortable lists that won't need significant changes over the life of the game, because we won't ever need to stop sorting the lists.  It also doesn't take much time to create sortable lists or, for that matter, introduce the mechanics to make such sortable-lists easily extensible with essentially no effort on the part of Toady.

In fact, the same exact argument can be made against things being put into the raws - and yet Toady does take the time to put things into the raws, even though such code is much more likely to eventually be overwritten than interface code.

You can, in fact, also say the same thing about bugs - why fix bugs, when you'll just create more bugs later?  Other than, you know, compounding bugs on bugs makes previous bugs much more costly to fix, and makes them significantly harder to isolate in the first place.  If Toady doesn't think about how the interface works, he will get less and less able to ever fix its problems.

You're throwing out an abstract fear of needing to make everything perfect at all times as a reason to never do anything to alleviate the serious problems at hand - it's like saying that there's no reason to ever take a shower because you'll just get dirty again, later.  And what the current interface has doesn't just smell, it's getting to be an infection that is plaguing many aspects of the game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 03:07:08 pm »

I have to agree with NW_Kohaku. There's a reason that I played DF exhaustively for a few months straight but can't even bring myself to start a game now: the interface. The cost/benefit ratio is just too low for me at the current point in time. There's so much information there, but it's a pain to get to most of it (and a good part of it isn't accessible at all without external tools). Which is a shame, because I really love the idea of Dwarf Fortress in theory. I see what it is and what it still could / will be. But I just can't get into it any more.

Maybe I'm in a minority here, but the problem isn't going away. It's just getting worse. That's one reason why there seems to be more and more DF-likes every day--and one thing all of them seem to share is more of a focus on the interface. None of them can compete directly with DF in terms of features--it's pretty hard to overcome with a ten year head start. And Toady has a pretty unique position / outlook that lets him focus more on DF than any of the other devs can focus on their games.

I don't know what the solution is. Or even if most people would agree there is a problem. But if Toady continues to put off the interface until the game is otherwise 'done', we're never going to get an interface. With the list of features planned just for 'version 1.0', it's going to be decades away at best. And the list keeps growing.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession