Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Small Speech  (Read 1257 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
A Small Speech
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:38:41 pm »

I recently posted my 405th thread. This may seem an odd number to celebrate, but as it so happens this brings me up to the number of threads posted by PTTG?. Thus, once I post this thread, I will have the second-most threads posted of anyone except Toady Himself.

I'm not sure what to say. I never thought I was anyone special around here, and I only joined a few years ago; yet, here I am. I know that people recognize me by name in several areas of the forum, which is really eye-opening. It's just...I never thought I was actually someone, as it were, until I realized I was so close to the top in this one spot.

It's not just topics. In overall posts, I'm third, behind ToonyMan and Darvi. I've posted almost 2% of the posts in the DF Suggestions subforum, and over 1% of the posts in Forum Games and Roleplaying and Roll to Dodge. I'm not sure where I am in posts per day, but I'm in the Top 30 for sure.
Wow.
I haven't even been around all that long. My first DF games were in 0.31.16, and I didn't really get into it until .18 and .25. At the time of writing, I've been logged in only 85 days, and I only became a member in late October, 2010. That's less than 30 months since I've joined, and yet I've started over 400 topics. What the heck have I been doing with all of them?

I think that the biggest realization of my unrealized importance was when I was gone for 1.7 days. In the Forum Games and Roleplaying subforum, sadly the only one I regularly post in these days, my absence was noted in multiple threads, even ones I wasn't GMing for. On my return to posting, I was greeted with some enthusiasm, which even if exaggerated was still indicative of my leaving, for such a brief time, having an impact on the board. It was surreal.

Now to get to my point.

Thank you, Bay12, for recognizing me, even so unofficially, as Someone Somewhat Important. Thank you for your support these past few years. Thank you for your humor, your intellect, and dare I say it, the insanity I am slowly starting to emulate. Thank you for amusing me and being amused by me. Thanks especially to other people who post a lot in the same places I have, and to those people who are famed around the forum, including but not limited to Xantalos and Jbg97 in the first category, dermonster and Necro in the second, and NW_Kohaku in both. Thanks to the !!scientists!! and scholars, the fools and freaks.
Thank you, Toady, for making this website. Thank you for your games, especially your magnum opus, Dwarf Fortress. Thank you for the infinite stories and games created and the enjoyment which filled the hours I've wasted spent on them. Thanks for everything.
Heck, thank you, Scamps, for whatever you've done to help.

Thanks for everything.

Good Day, Magma!, May your Dwarves be Smart, and Strike The Earth.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: A Small Speech
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:48:11 pm »

Why thank you!
Happy days in the apocalyptic wasteland ahead.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:48:58 pm »

Umm, you're welcome?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 05:56:25 pm »

You're welcome for me telling you.

Anyway, you have quite a number of threads between youself and toady, so get to making.

Also, according to the forums stats we have a ratio of 3.6 males, for evey female, but that doesn't necessarily say anything, as most spam-bots are female for some reason.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:22:20 pm »

(I had actually noticed before that, but I didn't want to boast about being almost something.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 04:11:29 pm »

Thank you, Toady, for making this website. Thank you for your games, especially your magnum opus, Dwarf Fortress.
>Implying Dwarf Fortress isn't just a cover for Toady's real game: Armok; God of Blood III; Human Species; Histories of X, Y, Z and that other thing.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 04:23:01 pm »

Now we need to get you and PTTG to fight to the death.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 04:34:58 pm »

You're not really important, you kn pff nope, as much as it'd be fitting to say that since you went out of your way to make a thread about you making threads I'm not gonna be that much of an ass

You're relevant to my interests and it's nice to have you around. Try to not overextend yourself with the complexity of your games, though, not even the pseudo-minimalist ones you run are spared.
eh, you probably don't care about me anyway, so why do i bother
:3

also this
Now we need to get you and PTTG to fight to the death.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 04:47:38 pm »

I call being booky!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.