Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Different" Projectiles  (Read 1734 times)

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Different" Projectiles
« on: March 09, 2013, 12:53:27 am »

Is it possible to create laser blasts and such in DF? Or secondary effects when a projectile hits? I've had this question for some time now and thought I'd ask the forums.
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: "Different" Projectiles
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:02:56 am »

Depending on your definition of laser blast. A weapon will always fire a solid projectile, but energy like effects could be simulated through interactions. Secondar effects -can- be done by making ammunition out of a material that melts at room temprature, which will dissolve into them if it sticks in a wound.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:16:01 am »

The ones you see on the wiki are all the ones you can have.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:17:00 am »

Could you make it from frozen poison?  That would be diabolical. 
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 01:25:54 am »

Depending on your definition of laser blast. A weapon will always fire a solid projectile, but energy like effects could be simulated through interactions. Secondar effects -can- be done by making ammunition out of a material that melts at room temprature, which will dissolve into them if it sticks in a wound.

That's exactly what I was thinking - I really had no time to  go and fully explain what I meant I was being "coerced" to leave. The gun would still fire a projectile, but reactions and such would make it so that it "works" like being hit by a laser. If we cant do that, then that's alright I've still got plenty of guns in my personal firearms mod.

Now that makes me think about my next question - poisoned projectiles...
A made a firearm in a pen and paper rpg that has, in essence, "hollow bullets". These bullets were filled with a "new" element that is essentially a harmless liquid - until it makes contact with skin; then it becomes poisonous. Now the DF equivalent doesn't have to be exact but I'd like to know about attaching poisons onto the projectiles.
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:43:11 am »

You can't add any new anything effects.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 03:28:06 am »

This. A "Laser" would behave like an arrow. MWDF uses Syndrome arrows by having it craft bolts of frozen poison that melt at body temprature. (There is also some DFhack workaround to spatter items with a fluid). Without some DFhack ninja, you cannot attach a poison to a projectile. An "Interaction" could be set up by the boiling rock syndrome thing, to create a special caste, who has a fire stream attack or something similar, named "Laser".

Once upon a time, you could set Hot and Cold damage, back when that was a damage type (40d, I think)

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 04:12:00 am »

This. A "Laser" would behave like an arrow. MWDF uses Syndrome arrows by having it craft bolts of frozen poison that melt at body temprature. (There is also some DFhack workaround to spatter items with a fluid). Without some DFhack ninja, you cannot attach a poison to a projectile. An "Interaction" could be set up by the boiling rock syndrome thing, to create a special caste, who has a fire stream attack or something similar, named "Laser".

Once upon a time, you could set Hot and Cold damage, back when that was a damage type (40d, I think)

See now that's the type of help I'm looking for, not a direct "NO". I know it probably isn't feasible to have everything we want but we wont be able to add new stuff without discussing it amongst our peers. Plus - the op did state "or projectiles that have a secondary effect when they hit".

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 04:25:42 am »

Although I'm not sure how you can prevent your frozen poison arrow to melt in the marksdwarves' hands.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 05:24:02 am »

You could apply poison to arrows or weapons using dfhack plugin "add spatter", I use it in Genesis and Meph uses it in Masterwork.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 01:42:20 pm »

And I use it in what has science done, but nobody plays that >_>

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 07:22:31 pm »

Nonsense. ( For the record, I haven't played it enough).

Body temprature frozen poison works because the rounds should be carried in quivers. Melts in hot enviroments, though. The Add Spatter thing is probably a much better work around for everyone.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 08:39:26 pm »

Nonsense. ( For the record, I haven't played it enough).

Body temprature frozen poison works because the rounds should be carried in quivers. Melts in hot enviroments, though. The Add Spatter thing is probably a much better work around for everyone.

Well not enough people complain about it :P