Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happened to my dwarves?  (Read 1625 times)

Mchccjg12

• Bay Watcher
  • [item_weapon:rat_flail]
    • View Profile
    • MCHCSaint Productions
What happened to my dwarves?
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:04:43 pm »

I have just started my first fortress. For a while, it was going great. And then I get "Urist cancels Give Water: Need empty bucket".
So, I search around, and find out it means that one of my dwarves is injured. I look around, and I can't seem to find anyone injured. But I may have found the reason:

I still have no idea why they're unconscious. Everyone else seems to be doing fine.

EDIT: It seems they're thirsty. Which means I've most likely ran out of booze. *facepalm*

EDIT 2: Well, I designated a water source (a lake which is kinda far away :() and now the children are fine. Then my woodcutter passed out.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:12:27 pm by Mchccjg12 »

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to my dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:22:14 pm »

Press 'z' then go to your kitchen. See if you have booze. Also have your carpenter make more buckets. Check your combat log with 'r' to see if something fell on any of them, doesn't sound like it though. Since the child isnt injured. But I have never heard of them passing out from thirst. I imagine that is what happened. Also assign a chief medical dwarf. Then press 'z' and go to health. Find the dwarfs that have passed out and see if they have any conditions. Like dehydration.

Soulbourne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:35:54 pm »

If they have no booze or water access, for whatever reason, and no buckets are spare, if they sleep it spams the collect water error for me.  I have it occasionally in early fortresses when I forget to track my booze stocks, since I drop all wooden embark items to fill with 2 dwarfbuck meat for spare barrels normally.

That plus a freezing map means they all get really thirsty and when one sleeps the others try and bring him water, which apparently checks for buckets before water.

MegaHarald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:52:32 pm »

It tells you that they are unconscious when they are sleeping.

Mchccjg12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MCHCSaint Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:15:41 pm »

It tells you that they are unconscious when they are sleeping.
Oh, ok. Thanks!

On another note, I'm pretty sure my fortress is about to fall due to lack of food. -_-
Also, I haven't gotten a single caravan. I looked on the Civilization screen:

Which I'm guessing means that the only civilization nearby is the Dwarven one. Whichs means I won't get any caravans (besides the dwarven one) right? If so, I may just have to abandon the fort.

Soulbourne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:33:03 pm »

In my experience, you only have new civs added when you make first contact.  Also, dig more farms man!  And make sure your cooks don't cook no seeds or plants!

Mchccjg12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MCHCSaint Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:36:41 pm »

Good to know. I decided to abandon the fort, since there wasn't any flux or iron.
EDIT: My new world seems to be promising. It has quite a bit of marble to use as flux, and a large amount of gold (prospect in DFHack says 26196 native gold, while there's only 16608 tetrahedrite). there seems to be no iron, but with all that gold, I should have more than enough to trade for all of the iron I will ever need.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:01:05 pm by Mchccjg12 »

Soulbourne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:17:06 pm »

Bitmous coal, and lignite are also nice things to find for a thriving metal industry, especially when your converting large amounts of hemitite, lemonite, and magnetite into steel without access to magma >.>

When the liason comes, be sure to request any iron ores they have-you can then buy them and get 4 bars of iron from each for steel production, alongside anything you happen to buy to melt down/use yourself.

Mchccjg12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MCHCSaint Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:21 pm »

Bitmous coal, and lignite are also nice things to find for a thriving metal industry, especially when your converting large amounts of hemitite, lemonite, and magnetite into steel without access to magma >.>

When the liason comes, be sure to request any iron ores they have-you can then buy them and get 4 bars of iron from each for steel production, alongside anything you happen to buy to melt down/use yourself.
Sweet! Thanks!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 08:36:02 am »

You don't need Coal or Lignite when you have magma.
Of course, if you've never used magma before, you will need a new fort.

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 11:19:07 am »

How do i harnis the power of.......MAGMA!
Oop's Wrong Lever!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 02:22:36 pm »

How do i harnis the power of.......MAGMA!

Learning how to dig a channel from underneath without actually connecting it to the passage below helps.  Make sure your dwarfs are good and liquored up.  Sober people don't violate physics quite so easily.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.