Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Tag System for Mounts and Stuff  (Read 950 times)

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
New Tag System for Mounts and Stuff
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »

Ok, this is mainly to help modding things go smoother, pave way for more detailed civs, etc. I am not sure how the tag would look exactly, but it would be something like for mounts, [MOUNTTAG:DESERT] or just put in a word or something in there, and then the race would use mounts with that tag. (Note: desert is just an example, it could be anything, such as BLUE, CHEESE, GIANT, or GOBLIN) Under the raws for the civilization, you would put [USESMOUNT:DESERT] and then that civ would have access to all those animals with that tag. It could also be used for more specific crafting, brewing, and that sort of thing but it would be mostly targeted for animal access for civs, from what I can think of. Comments/critique? Confusion?
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Tag System for Mounts and Stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:24:07 pm »

I have mixed feelings about the suggestion. But mostly, I realize that this is unnecessary and, to some extent, a bit silly.

On the one hand, it could be neat for modders to be able to restrict their custom races to the use of certain mounts. Though, I doubt Toady would create a custom tag just for this purpose. It'd have to have a legitimate use, such as simplifying/streamlining the code for him or something. And if he were to add a new tag like this, it'd make a whole lot more sense to define which mounts a race can or can't use in the race's raws, not in the creature raws.

But, you see, Fortress Mode already does something like this. Take a look at the Mount page on Magma Wiki. If elves use a mount they usually ride a unicorn. But they sometimes ride other stuff as, "It is theoretically possible for them to arrive riding any exotic land animal." Even so, there are only certain mounts that goblins ride and only certain mounts that humans ride. It's already race specific.

However, one does not find a mention of such restrictions in the raws where one could modify such things. Another words, Toady must have this hard-coded somewhere other than the raws.

In my opinion, the "a bit silly" part is the suggestion that the use of a mount be restricted to certain biomes or regions. Are you suggesting, for example, that human siegers should not be able to ride camels unless the dwarf fort happens to be located in a desert? Or that humans should not be able to attack riding giant cheetahs unless the dwarves live in a jungle?  ::)

Personally, I find this matter quite trivial in comparison to the real problem with mounts:

To this day players are unable to have their dwarves ride a mount, even though siegers can!  >:(

Obviously, this has been suggested before. But it deserves repeating. Just recently I posted in the "DF Eternal Suggestion Voting" thread here and here about that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:06:29 pm by Thundercraft »

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:05:44 am »

Also it seems counter productive for the randomness of the game to force a creature to be available to a civ. Civs should use whatever they have been given in worldgen like they do(?).

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:57:43 am »

I have mixed feelings about the suggestion. But mostly, I realize that this is unnecessary and, to some extent, a bit silly.

On the one hand, it could be neat for modders to be able to restrict their custom races to the use of certain mounts. Though, I doubt Toady would create a custom tag just for this purpose. It'd have to have a legitimate use, such as simplifying/streamlining the code for him or something. And if he were to add a new tag like this, it'd make a whole lot more sense to define which mounts a race can or can't use in the race's raws, not in the creature raws.

But, you see, Fortress Mode already does something like this. Take a look at the Mount page on Magma Wiki. If elves use a mount they usually ride a unicorn. But they sometimes ride other stuff as, "It is theoretically possible for them to arrive riding any exotic land animal." Even so, there are only certain mounts that goblins ride and only certain mounts that humans ride. It's already race specific.

However, one does not find a mention of such restrictions in the raws where one could modify such things. Another words, Toady must have this hard-coded somewhere other than the raws.

In my opinion, the "a bit silly" part is the suggestion that the use of a mount be restricted to certain biomes or regions. Are you suggesting, for example, that human siegers should not be able to ride camels unless the dwarf fort happens to be located in a desert? Or that humans should not be able to attack riding giant cheetahs unless the dwarves live in a jungle?  ::)

Personally, I find this matter quite trivial in comparison to the real problem with mounts:

To this day players are unable to have their dwarves ride a mount, even though siegers can!  >:(

Obviously, this has been suggested before. But it deserves repeating. Just recently I posted in the "DF Eternal Suggestion Voting" thread here and here about that.
  I agree, it would be a bit silly if only modders had a real use. The main reason I suggested it was I hit a barrier while modding that I couldn't split mounts just for my modded race's purposes. In vanilla DF, it wouldn't have much value besides taking time to code. Also, the DESERT thing, was just an example. Maybe for a desert race. The way I envisioned it, it would just search the raws for that text; not necessarily searching for a biome. I too agree that dwarves should be able to ride creatures, I think the reason given for it not being able to occur was dwarves' height. Goblins can ride their own mounts despite the similar size. Thanks for the critique. I admit there are plenty of flaws and reasons it is a bad idea; I was just getting the idea in text form.
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:45:03 am »

The race specificity breaks down completely when you mod the game at all. I think this would be reasonable if and only if the framework were expanded to pets, products and other such things, or maybe just using the already-existing CREATURE_CLASS token.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:02:51 pm »

I am completely on board with this.

As a modder, I have problems with this on a regular basis. If I create a race of giants, I don't want them to ride horses (thats regular sized horses, mind you) into battle. Nor should my race of halflings be riding giant mosquitos. It always seemed to me like dwarves belonged on their feet, rather than using a mount of any kind.

I can certainly understand how this could be a low-priority addition/request, but this would be fantastic so that we could have more detailed races if we wanted to. I don't think that asking for something specifically relating to modding is unreasonable, either.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:14:04 pm »

I too agree that dwarves should be able to ride creatures, I think the reason given for it not being able to occur was dwarves' height. Goblins can ride their own mounts despite the similar size.
The reason fort dwarves can't ride mounts is because riding things is not very dwarfy, according to toady, so he doesn't have it as a priority. The reason adventurers can't ride mounts, is because Toady hasn't coded how something riding something else could control that creature. Siegers ride mounts, but the game uses the mount's AI to decide where to go -- the rider is not in control.