Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Sony PS4 DRM?  (Read 17254 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Sony PS4 DRM?
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2013, 07:09:47 am »

What will this next generation have going for it?
JRPGs.

I don't expect my console to compete with my PC, however it does seem to be on par with my PC's specs, which does not have trouble running games at high settings.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:16 am »

I have 2 point i would like to share, first by blocking used sale ( wich is often the only way to get games for the those who live with less money ) they are pushing them to find new ways to get games wich mean they will turn more into piracy.

The other point, when i buy a game its like i buy a car, the devloper are like the car designer, you get the point. What i do with the car after is not of their frigging business, what would happen if from day-to-next you cant resell used car? Selling a used car is less money for the *car company dont-know-the-english-word*, they they cry like babies? No.

That was my 2 point i wanted to share because the more it goes the more they are driving paying customer away and sadly instead of understanding, they simply do like dictators, find more way to opress the mass to have more control/monies.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2013, 08:55:36 am »

Sony is kind of ignoring the little fact that $60 is a tremendous amount of money to risk on a brand new game,
This was quite far back but seriously! I have not seen a new release game under $100 in Australia, $120 for some games. You lucky yanks and your cheap electronics. (The Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar, how does this work?)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2013, 09:12:28 am »

It's both price gouging from publishers and pressure from the Australian retail market. There is no justifiable reason why the prices are jacked up, there are no tariffs or taxes on digital goods. There's no shipping cost on digital goods, no packaging or handling. No storage costs. There is no major regionalisation that needs to be done (if any). Some Australian IPs even host your game files for free. It's downright greed at the expense of the consumer.

It appears that publishers get away with charging so much for their prices is because A) idiots are willing to buy it at insanely marked up prices at retail. B) They never bothered to accommodate the change of the AUD suddenly going from much less than the USD to around even. C) concerns about a full Steam monopoly. D) the average Joe is ignorant of the price hikes.

Retail doesn't want to see digital sales being cheaper than their extremely marked-up profit generators for obvious reasons. They'd rather have the digital market charge the same so they can stick to their archaic business models and PROTECT THE ALL MIGHTY JOBS. I'm willing to bet this is why (plus a healthy lather of lobbying) the ACCC hasn't done anything about it even though I know they get thousands of complaints a year about the issue.

If you want an example of the Australian retail mark-up: I entered EB Games about a year ago and saw Left 4 Dead 2 for $120. It was around $20 on Steam. It's a box with a steam key and some out-of-date game files. >_>
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:17:34 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2013, 12:57:50 pm »

I have 2 point i would like to share, first by blocking used sale ( wich is often the only way to get games for the those who live with less money ) they are pushing them to find new ways to get games wich mean they will turn more into piracy.

The other point, when i buy a game its like i buy a car, the devloper are like the car designer, you get the point. What i do with the car after is not of their frigging business, what would happen if from day-to-next you cant resell used car? Selling a used car is less money for the *car company dont-know-the-english-word*, they they cry like babies? No.

That was my 2 point i wanted to share because the more it goes the more they are driving paying customer away and sadly instead of understanding, they simply do like dictators, find more way to opress the mass to have more control/monies.

Sorry, but did you read the link I posted a page back with a Sony head-honcho stating there would be no such DRM in the Playstation 4?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2013, 01:23:16 pm »

Did you guys see the specs?  They're pathetically mediocre. At least consoles in the past could be considered really good hardware for the first year or so after release.  What will this next generation have going for it?
are you serious? the gpu on this board can pump out 1.82 TFLOPS which is on par with a amd HD7850, thats enough for full blown 1080p graphics and all your pretty effects. Since we might be seeing 2k or 4k tvs in the future, theres enough memory on the board to process at that resolution so this will last very long into the HD wars

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2013, 01:57:43 pm »

Sorry, but did you read the link I posted a page back with a Sony head-honcho stating there would be no such DRM in the Playstation 4?
Oh dont worry its just a matter of time.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2013, 03:38:26 pm »

It won't be on the PS4, so I'm not worried :)

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:16 pm »

... the gpu on this board can pump out 1.82 TFLOPS ...

FLOPS are a nice epeen number to throw around, but it's not a practical benchmark for the way software commonly handles its workload.  So the GPU can crunch numbers well... not exactly news.  GPUs have been number crunching little monsters for a while, and if you chased down a comparable stat for other GPUs, I think it would not look quite so impressive.

It boils down to: the graphical arms race continues.  Expect budgets for art assets to continue to rise, and more studios folding because their break-even sales need to be north of 3 million units @ US$60 per.

Overall the hardware looks like a decent mid-range PC.  The use of AMD's APU is a note of confidence for that architecture.  Now we wait and see if Sony can manage to not cock it up.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]