Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows 8 & DF  (Read 884 times)

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windows 8 & DF
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:42:42 pm »

With windows 8 being available for a couple months now and new Windows 8 driven devices hitting the shelves every day I am interested if anyone has attempted running DF on the new OS. AFAIK there is no reason why DF would not work on Win 8 (if anything it would perform better). Since many smartphones/tablets use Win 8 in theory it should be possible to run DF on these devices. I can foresee several issues with df on a phone; ie. lack of keyboard, small amount of RAM, underpowered cpu etc. but in theory it should be doable. I am curious if anyone has attempted this, and if anyone with a Win 8 device would be willing to attempt in the name of !!Science!!

EDIT: Oops, I meant to post this in general discussion. My bad >.<
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:45:25 pm by Maxmurder »
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8 & DF
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:20:17 am »

Well, I can't say for other devices (tablets, phones etc) running Windows 8, but I've been running DF on my Win 8 PC for a couple of weeks now, and if anything, it works even smoother than with Win 7.

Not sure if that answers any of your questions though, of if you were wondering strictly about other devices.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:50:30 am »

It would only run on a tablet if that tablet was running the x86 version of Windows 8 (e.g. a Surface Pro); all smartphones (and most cheaper tablets) will be running Windows RT which will not be able to run DF for 2 reasons:

1. Windows RT runs on ARM CPUs, not x86
2. You cannot run desktop applications on Windows RT (unless you jailbreak it), only "Metro" apps acquired through the Windows Store (which would likely require Toady to rewrite large chunks of DF's code).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Genesis92x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:32:26 am »

I have a Windows 8 laptop (Sadly) and I don't notice any difference from the Win8 laptop and my Win7 Computer.  As for mobile devices, I would have to agree with Quietust.  Win8 itself is compatible with DF - no problem.

Just turn off automatically installing updates...

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:17:54 pm »

I got a new laptop with Win 8, and the only difference I've noticed is a form of the deconstruction-mass-item-teleport bug (and I can't promise that I didn't patch something incorrectly).
Basicly what's already been said, Win8 yes, WinRT no.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around