Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Old bug resurfacing? Or never fixed?  (Read 1570 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
An Old bug resurfacing? Or never fixed?
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:12:29 am »

Anyone remember that old Goblin bug, where upon reclaim the Goblins would all be friendly to you until a buddy from their civ came and then !!CIVIL WAR!!?

Erm... I've hit that one again. I don't know if it was fixed, and most of the gobbos are dead now (more on that later), but they didn't attack me when I reclaimed.

Oddly enough, they did attack... the other goblin ambushes that showed up! Most of the seige goblins were skilled enough to take down whole ambushes almost alone, with some help by the random breeding giant bats that are wandering around the map, being kited by badgers. They've successfully kept my fort safe from ambushes while I buried my Almost 200~ dwarf fort's huge pile-o-corpses. It's been an ordeal, but I think I'm almost ready to start working on something else other than cleanup now.

But I'm kind of scared. I don't have much in the way of military. I'm not good with training, and I haven't had the time to set up any significant traps. I don't remember if ambushes were a trigger for the hostilities or if had to be a full-blown seige. Or, perhaps, these goblins defected, turning to my side to fight off a even greater enemy.

If I do have the goblin freedom fighters in my fort, I want them protected. And their surprisingly heroic steeds as well. Giant breeding bat pairs? Yes please!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
Re: An Old bug resurfacing? Or never fixed?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:16:13 am »

I think that the gobs will be loyal to you until their own civ sends a raid.
Then your gobs will join in the slaughtering of your dwarves. They will protect you from other gob civs, though.

At least, I think that's how it works.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:17:13 am »

It's kind of weird that I'm getting a different civ. Obviously this is a reclaim, so location isn't the issue... :-\
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:46:08 am »

The training of a military is easy. Pick dwarves  you want dedicated to being soldiers, and set them to always train.  Then, when needed, give them station orders so they move to where you want the fight to happen.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:50:38 am »

I don't think this is a bug, I think it's intended.  You could try walling off the goblins, or kill them with atom-smashers.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:25:19 am »

Yeah, this bug hasn't been looked into yet I'm pretty sure. Neither has the bug that results in animal men as part of tribes in the caverns becoming friendly when they become historical figures through killing something, like one of your dwarves or a FB.

Not sure why you'd be getting a different goblin civ at the same site, though, instead of goblins from the same civ. If they were from the same civ, then they should have become hostile to you, and/or gone nuts on one-another and be wiped out in a loyalty cascade.

I suppose that maybe there's a chance the game picks which civ to send your way at embark, at random, if two or more civs of the same race/entity are equal or very nearly equal distance from you. That would be exceptionally rare, because you'd have to park your fort in just the right spot, and it's entirely hypothetical and would be a pain in the arse to test, if it's true at all, and I'm operating under my long-held assumption that the game always sends whichever civ is closest, which I've never bothered to test before...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:33:04 pm »

For actual testing, it'd be quite awful, but it might be worth keeping the possibility in mind when reclaiming, and keeping track - note down who you're interacting with on a site when a crumble/abandon looms on the horizon, and eventually check against the civ screen of the reclaimed fort.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 01:47:02 pm »

Anyone remember that old Goblin bug, where upon reclaim the Goblins would all be friendly to you until a buddy from their civ came and then !!CIVIL WAR!!?
Wait.
!!CIVIL WAR!! ?
Were they on fire?
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 04:34:22 pm »

Wait.
!!CIVIL WAR!! ?
Were they on fire?
They will be after project A.S.A.X is complete.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 04:35:50 pm »

Sieges will make them turn. Ambushes will not.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 08:32:09 pm »

I think the 'bug' comes from how any one left on site will become a resident. it's commonly used for companions and adventurers for sites. they become residents from a different civ, and I guess sieges checks everyone with the civ_id  to be hostile.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:31:25 pm »

Do they actually turn back to normal behavior, or will they attack dwarves and other gobs?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 10:37:19 pm »

Do they actually turn back to normal behavior, or will they attack dwarves and other gobs?
I'd be surprised if they weren't enemies of their own civ after slaughtering entire ambush squads.

So probably. I've yet to check though.
Thou art I, I art Thou.