Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planes and planeswalking - traveling between worlds!  (Read 738 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Planes and planeswalking - traveling between worlds!
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:51:32 am »

No, not AIRplanes.
Planes, as in - dimensions, worlds, planets.

Right now, all generated worlds are completely independent and can't be interacted with each other - which seems right in the current state of things, as there isn't any logical way for those to interact right now.

However, it is becoming more and more obvious (or not) that at one point, those worlds should be able to have some sort of actual connections with each other.

Might and Magic (1986-2002, not this Dark Messiah and Heroes V-VI bull****) series did it very well - the characters could use spaceships built by the Ancients, a powerful race of space travelers (in M&M, there were both flat and spherical worlds - the flat ones were called ). There were also portals.

I am NOT saying we should use this concept in DF, because there isn't such form of technology.
But WHAT should dwarves and other creatures use to travel between worlds? Magic? Technology (of some strange sort)? Alchemy?

So let's just assume that we agreed upon a world-traveling method and now we're using it.
When this happens, your adventurer (if in adventurer mode) or a pack of dwarves (if in dwarf fortress mode) are "removed" from the given world and "saved" in-between them (you could say they're stuck in a limbo). Then the game saves and player has to generate a new world like one would normally do. Only that when it's done, the player (or his squad of dwarves) is flinged into the freshly generated world - somewhere at random. At sea? Over a volcano? In a dark fortress? Or maybe just at a local Mountainhome (or whatever could be left of it, should it be ruined somehow). The game then proceeds as normal (well, kind of, since in Fort mode there wouldn't be an embark screen - your dwarves would be left with what they took, unless we're aiming for a spaceship-travel and there's stuff in it.)

Let's face the possibilities - multi-world civilizations, using worlds as garbage dumps (hippies included), re-civilizing empty worlds, extraterrestrial invasions - FUN is to be had with that!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Planes and planeswalking - traveling between worlds!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:56:21 am »

Planned, and suggested quite often.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:31:28 pm »

not to steal wyrm's job, but it's been suggested alot.  people wanted to visit the land where the boogeymen came from, god knows why.  they're scary creatures.  things were also suggested like a nice fairy land to visit, and if this counts as a "plane", heaven, once you've died.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:29:48 pm »

We would have added multi-planar worlds a long time ago if I had thought to support them ten years ago. The way it's setup now it's an annoyance ... around the level of adding the z coordinate, but the z co-ordinate got added and multi-planar worlds are going to make it in too.

- Toady One on Fortress talk 20

That being said Multiple worlds are planed indeed for a long time now. Maybe you have a more specific suggestion? Also DF could very well create multiple worlds at once (its just another Worldgen-overhaul) for use in one game. It could give us some nice MTG like stories in legendsmode.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.