Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: circle of death  (Read 1121 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
circle of death
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:54:06 am »

right, so i have an on-going fort, atleast 20 years now, still can't find the demons, (I hate people that say candy and circus and clowns and all that), but I have found adamantine in the magma sea.  anyway, we get some human traders, they're about to leave, bam, dwarves arrive, and since it's a jungle, i have only one path into the depot, the wagons crash, and they're stuck there.  i'm thinking about a solution, when bam, goblin siege!  hooooray, so i get my guys out there, but not before a zombie siege is announced.  i call everyone inside, and luckily only have one casualty while getting everyone inside, which was a war dog, who was already crippled from past sieges.  all the dwarves and humans die, save the dwarven merchants who rode in on animals, not on the wagons, because i kept them safe in the depot.  two human animals survive, all the merchants and wagons died.  i finish off the sieges, and now i have sooo much shit to pick up.  best part is, a new year started during all of this, so now i have extra things to bury.  i love sieges for the fun they cause, but i've began to hate the aftermath of picking up all their useless copper shit.

edit:  forgot to say, the circle of death is near the enterance to my fort, where everything killed eachother, first the goblins killed the merchants and hung out there, then the zombies killed them, then my guys killed them.  it resembles a circle, in blood of course.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: circle of death
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »

You hate people who try to avoid spoiling the endgame for others who haven't encountered it yet?

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:50:46 pm »

yeah.  it's stupid.  this isn't an RPG with a story or something, then it'd be okay.  if you've played DF, you've heard about adamantine and demons and shit
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:36:55 pm »

its a carry over from older versions of dwarf fortress when it would be game over and some of the more interesting posts of people losing because of it. Hence it being a spoiler.

oh, I guess I also forgot how the game pushed you to dig deeper constantly through mandates, so it was game designed to be pushed into the unknown and having something that is tough(it stopped being instant game over after the game went 3d)

as for your post itself, you could try searching for another vein to get past the magma sea.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:50:48 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:16:08 pm »

yeah.  it's stupid.  this isn't an RPG with a story or something, then it'd be okay.  if you've played DF, you've heard about CANDY and CLOWNS and shit

Isnt there some kind of rule you just broke? No matter what you think, you still have to follow the laws in the forums.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:27:11 pm »

•Do not pick a fight or insult another poster.  Do not continue a fight if you feel you have been insulted.  Report it to the moderator.  If you instead respond in kind, you run the risk of being considered part of the problem.
•Despite its prevalence on the internet, bigoted language is frowned upon here.  Do not go there.
•Do not disrupt a thread with spam, giant images or intentionally garbled language.  Screenshots and so on that make sense in context are also allowed, but image spam is not allowed.  Forum games may use giant images but only in the spirit of the game as defined by the OP.
•If the creator of a thread gives appropriate additional guidelines for an individual thread, please try to respect them.  Threads often drift away from their opening themes here, and there isn't a strong sense of thread "ownership", so there's a gray area, but if a thread has been designed for a specific purpose, please try to adhere to that, especially if the creator urges you to do so.  Do not derail threads.
•If you post links to illegal material (files that are being illegally distributed, ie unsanctioned commercial game/music torrents/downloads, etc.) or post illegal images (or images that would have been behind 18+ warnings, etc.), you will be banned.  Don't ask for links or otherwise ask to be directed to places where you can download/obtain things like that either, even if the situation is somewhat more lax in your locality.
•Do not discuss sexually oriented material.  There are exceptions to this rule, such as passing discussions of sexual content in movies, books, computer games, etc. in topics not directed specifically at the sexual material in question, but no sexually themed topics are allowed.  Sharing erotic images and erotic roleplaying are not permitted.  If you want to turn each other on, there are plenty of outlets for that.  This is not one of them.  Please refrain from sharing your sex life.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:29:56 pm »

Instant rule quoting does not speak well for you. :P

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:21:10 am »

if you've played DF, you've heard about adamantine and demons and shit
Not necessarily.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 03:12:31 am »

The whole HFS, candy, clowns, circus and circus tent thing is kind of an unwritten Bay12 rule. It's like the whole fork goes on the left, knife goes on the right thing. We still do it because it's part of forum culture, and you're welcome to ignore the rule and just say
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
because no-one is forcing you to follow culture. But when you say that you hate people who follow that convention, it borders on offensive.
I would politely ask you to not do so in future. I don't like the idea of being hated because I do something that is, at first glance, stupid, and I am certain there are others on these forums who would agree with me.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.