Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Solved] Some of my new creatures don't appear after world gen  (Read 967 times)

McFeel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Solved] Some of my new creatures don't appear after world gen
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:10:45 pm »

Hello,

I'm making new creatures for dwarf fortress, but there are some that don't appear in fortress or adventure mode, although they have a FREQUENCY:100. I can play all my creatures in object testing arena, and there isn't errorlog. I have played a lot of worlds, and have given USE_ANY_PET_RACE to dwarves, but the creatures don't appear in the embark screen (in spite of they are pet exotic, and some war trained). I only have seen a flumph in a figurine. Here are some examples:

Worg (I have given it a very high population number for testing):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flumph:

Boneclaw:

I don't know where is the problem. They are in the same file of others that work fine.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:27:08 pm by McFeel »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Some of my new creatures don't appear after world gen
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:12:16 pm »

Does the errorlog generate anything in your DF folder?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:22:56 pm »

I don't see any obvious problems to stop them from spawning at all (though you do realize that having [BIOME:ALL_MAIN] lets your worgs spawn in the ocean right?), so they should be showing up in your new worldgens (assuming you are editing the main raws, yes?). However I believe I see some things that would stop them from being tamed by dwarves.
1)Not quite sure about your wargs. It's possible that the [CAN_SPEAK] is interfering with their taming, (since I've never seen elves show up with mermaids or other "intelligent" creatures even if they are in the right biomes).
2)Your Flumphs are good creatures only. Therefore unless your dwarves also have USE_GOOD_ANIMALS they won't use them, and since dwarves by default only live in neutral areas even then the chance of them actually having access to them is rather small (requiring a good biome directly next to neutral mountains that dwarves live in.
3)Your Boneclaw doesn't have any pet tokens, so it can't be tamed obviously.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

McFeel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 01:41:21 pm »

There are no errorlog.txt in the main folder.

Yes, I'm editting the correct raws, and genering new worlds after changes.  I put ALL_MAIN to worgs, because I was desperate :). I will delete CAN_SPEAK from worgs (I only wanted to follow D&D). I have put too USE_GOOD_ANIMALS (and EVIL, for testing) to dwarves, but as you say, dwarves don't spawn in good biomes, so. I have other good creatures with FREQUENCY:3, and are relatively common. And I have other creatures as fennec fox that don't appear too.

I suppose that the name of the txt file dosen't matter while it appears in the raws header. But as I say there are creatures in the same file that spawn finely.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:43:56 pm by McFeel »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:49:11 pm »

Sounds plausible that CAN_SPEAK is likely the main culprit.

There still is some randomness in USE_ANY_PET_RACE, as far as I can tell you still need to have the creature within a certain number of tiles of your (civ?  embark site?). If you do lots of embarks you with USE_ANY_PET_RACE you will see somewhat different animals from time to time.  I think the only way to guarantee a particular animal is to make it domestic.

McFeel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 02:27:15 pm »

I put the tags COMMON_DOMESTIC and PET (instead of PET_EXOTIC) to all the creatures that I haven't seen in game, except humanoids. And they all appear in the embark screen.

Now the question is, why they don't appear in game if they have high FREQUENCY, and I have tweaked down the vanilla creatures? I have been unlucky? But there are other creatures that have very low frequency and are common. For example this:

In what depends this?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:30:16 pm by McFeel »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:56:00 pm »

FREQUENCY is relative to the total amount of frequency. So the game decides what creatures are present in a biome based on the total amount of frequency possible. So in the case of a forest the game would look at all the potential creatures that could spawn in that forest (including your pegasus). The game then puts a number of entires into the pot equal to the creature's FREQUENCY (i.e. the pegasus would get 10 entries, something with a FREQUENCY of 100 would get 100, and so on). It starts to draw entries out of the hat until it has reached the required number (say 20, the number is based on the specific biome), with any creature that has already been chosen being exempt (i.e. if your pegasus is chosen it can't be chosen again). So even if a creature has a high frequency if the total number from all the other creatures is higher then there is a very little chance of it spawning.

If you really want a creature to be present in every possible biome then give it the [UBIQUITOUS] token, which means that it is automatically selected for all of it's potential biomes (meaning FREQUENCY on it does nothing). Be careful with this though, since if you have too many creatures with [UBIQUITOUS] then they can crowd out all the creatures that don't (if you have 18 UBIQUITOUS creatures and the game only will select 20 creatures for that biome, then only 2 of the creatures will be different in any one of those biomes).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

McFeel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 02:04:58 pm »

I finally have solved it  :). I think that the key tag is LARGE_ROAMING. In the Wiki says this about LARGE_ROAMING: "in Fortress Mode, spawns outdoors and is not a vermin creature". I have noticed that the new creatures that spawned correctly in the world had that tag, and the ones that didn't, didn't have it.  So I added LARGE_ROAMING to all my new creatures, and it works.

Also, I have compiled all the vanilla creatures in raws named with one tag, and my creatures raws with other tag with "higher" alphabetical order.

Don't know what have solved the problem, but the important is that it works :D.