Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not pushing carts  (Read 949 times)

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not pushing carts
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:17:07 pm »

I have set up a minecart to to transport prepared food and drink form the farms to the dining hall. However my dwarves refuse to push the cart once it has been filled. The route is set up properly and all track is connected. if i set the depart condition to "push imemdataly always" it get pushed, but if it is set to "Push when full of desired items" the dwarves never seem to want to push it. Anyone know what is the issue here?
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not pushing carts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:27:32 am »

maybe it's not full yet? minecarts can carry a lot of items, specially low weight items like plants and meals.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:10:20 am »

It could be not full of items as Kaos said.  Try looking at the (h)auling menu.  Also the default time for the cart to be pushed when over half full is 14 days.  If it is less than half full it is something like 28 days or a full month in game. 
I have not used minecarts with food but some things like bags of sand, cloth, and weapons/armor do not take up much space.  This can create situations where the carts cannot be filled completely if they are being mixed with larger items.  If you are having problems with production being held up or foods rotting try decreasing the amount of time that carts will sit.  I personally use a 5 day for +50% and a 10 day 'if it needs it or not' scheduled.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:48:24 pm »

I think the issue was that the cart was %100 full of barrels which were only %50 or so full themselves. My solution was to just set the depart condition to "push in 1 day always" (it fills up very fast). Also i needed to make a bigger stockpile at the end as the dwarves just ended up hauling it all back up the stairs to the loading pile. At least they are keeping themselves busy.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:13:01 pm »

Set a Trackstop at the end of the track, and have it dump onto a single tile stockpile. You can either leave it like that, or have it feed other piles.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 04:29:17 pm »

I think the issue was that the cart was %100 full of barrels which were only %50 or so full themselves. My solution was to just set the depart condition to "push in 1 day always" (it fills up very fast). Also i needed to make a bigger stockpile at the end as the dwarves just ended up hauling it all back up the stairs to the loading pile. At least they are keeping themselves busy.
Limit the source stockpile that feeds the cart to only take from the kitchen/brewery that is making the items being carted down.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 06:56:53 pm »

Set a Trackstop at the end of the track, and have it dump onto a single tile stockpile. You can either leave it like that, or have it feed other piles.

A trackstop dump onto a single tile stockpile works wonders for quantum stockling. I do not recommend using bins or barrels when you do this, as it can cause all kinds of weirdness with infinite hauling loops. But you can quantum stockpile anything anywhere. Refuse? Wood? Scrap metal for the smelters? Doesn't matter, it can be quantum stockpiled.