Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I generate a new world?  (Read 810 times)

AranC23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Should I generate a new world?
« on: February 08, 2013, 05:03:31 pm »

I have a fort I am ready to abandon anyway, but should I continue to use that world or regenerate?  I was playing that fort under 0.34.07. I probably created the world under an earlier version but is there any way to tell?

Have there been any changes that would prompt me to want to re-generate a new world?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Should I generate a new world?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:32:05 pm »

There have been some big changes between 34.07 and 34.11, namely a lot of hauling and mine carts/wheelbarrows. I suggest you generate a new world if you are just about done with that fortress anyways since while you could potentially move your old save up to the latest version, there are a fair amount of bug fixes that will be lacking if you do so, as well as requiring a bit of delving into the raws in order to enable wheelbarrows and such.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
Re: Should I generate a new world?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 05:44:35 pm »

Bug fixes are for quiters. If you don't want improvements then just find a new site. If you want to deal with more headaches then go ahead and upgrade. Any version has it's pluses and minuses. More advanced = more to do and more headaches. Not upgrading = less headaches but less to do.

I suggest upgrading but playing older versions can be a lot of !!FUN!!
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!