Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What determines murkey pool placement on an embark site?  (Read 601 times)

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What determines murkey pool placement on an embark site?
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:58:42 pm »

Hello all -

I'm trying to understand the process of world and site generation, so I'm controlling all the variables I can think of, and varying them systematically to see what happens. I used Perfect World to reproduce the overall world, with the same layers popping up, and I can tweak mineral distributions in those layers reliably within those layers. I can also vary the history seed to make sure all civs survive with decent numbers, etc.

What I'm wondering is: How do I move, vary, or reduce the distribution and placement of murkey pools on the surface of my embark site? Is there any good way for me to vary that without affecting other aspects of the worlds I generate?
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: What determines murkey pool placement on an embark site?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:14:36 pm »

It's biome-based, I think. The wetter the biome, the more pools.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:20:14 pm »

Putnam - that makes sense, but how would I vary that without affecting the erosion process and thus the overall structure of the site?

I know I can vary the pools by affecting the melting point or density of one inorganic in one raw file! Isn't that weird?
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 02:21:29 pm »

That's because changing the raws at all tends to make differneces in worldgen.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 02:39:12 pm »

Putnam - right! The question is - what exact changes in the raws result in what changes in worldgen? Is there something I can tweak to just affect the layout of murky pools without affecting anything else?