Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ropes and YOU!  (Read 1480 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Ropes and YOU!
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:29:39 pm »

I understand that, in the future, the great Toad will be adding non-lethal combat, and ways to take prisoners and such, for interrogation and all that jazz.  For now though, i'd like a simple way to incapacitate an enemy, without killing them.  Rope.  Rope is useless in Adventure Mode, yet plentiful in forts and such.  If I came to kill the Lord, I don't want to kill his kid, and as such, i'd like to be able to choke him out, and simply tie him up and leave him.  I don't want to be a child butcherer.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Ropes and YOU!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:43:23 pm »

Presumably planned. It's certainly a sensible expansion from being able to tie up dwarven prisoners.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 02:49:17 pm »

Glad you like it, as i'd hate to kill my kin, unless they were some werecreature or something.  While i'm here, Wyrm, is it planned to be able to tie up GOBLIN prisoners in Fortress mode if they're unconcious on the battlefield?  I enjoy chaining up Masters (ex. Spearmaster, Swordmaster, etc.)  I'm not a pacifist, but I like having prisoners to show my citizens.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 02:58:58 pm »

I'd like hangings.

And when mounts are implemented, it'd be really cool to see myself dragging a particularly annoying enemy from behind my horse.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 04:11:39 pm »

sounds nice, but how would you do that in fortress mode, if possible, with a captured prisoner?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:32:39 pm »

Glad you like it, as i'd hate to kill my kin, unless they were some werecreature or something.  While i'm here, Wyrm, is it planned to be able to tie up GOBLIN prisoners in Fortress mode if they're unconcious on the battlefield?  I enjoy chaining up Masters (ex. Spearmaster, Swordmaster, etc.)  I'm not a pacifist, but I like having prisoners to show my citizens.
I thought I had implied so, yes.

sounds nice, but how would you do that in fortress mode, if possible, with a captured prisoner?
With a square knot, maybe?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 04:55:34 pm »

I thought you meant tying up purely in Adventure Mode.  In a previous suggestion of mine, awhile ago, I suggested executing prisoners.  I never thought of hanging, but it sounds suitable for the Era the Dwarves are in.

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 10:43:49 pm »

Lately over a lot of games I've had children throw tantrums only to be quickly ripped apart by dogs or skewered by my Fortress Guard's spears. With the new release, non-lethal combat is going to exist. Out of the things I have read in Toady's logs and in the dev portions of the site I haven't gathered a lot of information on whether this will change in fortress mode any time soon.

I could always wait until Toady asks for another future of the fortress question batch, but I wanted to find a topic along these lines to see if perhaps anyone has information I do not.

With the combat changes, a way to cage hostiles who have been beaten unconscious with hammers, maces, or other blunt attacks and traps might be close, and I think it's a topic worth attention. Throw berserk dwarves in cages, might help to mitigate tantrum spirals somewhat.

Edit: It occurred to me that I wasn't being altogether honest with my intentions.

You see I have little interest in saving the children. I sorta mostly want to drop things down a pit with spike traps at the bottom. Current cage trap mechanics do not sate my urge for violence.

Edit 2: Upon further thought on the subject, I have come up with a counterargument to my own thoughts of adding such things now. The older dev page mentions a wrestling overhaul that involves dragging, tossing around, etc. That will undoubtedly interact very heavily with restraining and caging unconscious hostiles or other potentially dangerous creatures, and that might be a better time to address this sort of thing.

In Toady We Trust.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:41:18 pm by TastyMints »