Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Riddle of Daggerfall: A Homebrew Riddle of Steel Adventure [4/6]  (Read 2002 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile

Welcome, heroes, to the the Illiac Bay! A wondrous place, filled with warring kingdoms, and odd people, much like the rest of Tamriel.
Uh, what is the Riddle of Steel?
A suuuuper super SUPER super old Tabletop RPG from the early 2000s! It was a wondrous game. Unfortunately, skills are not the main point of the game. What is the main point? Incredibly gruesome, deadly melee combat, and incredibly detailed and devastating magic, that's what!
And how does this tie in to Daggerfall or the Elder Scrolls?
Homebrew! These rules, created by Atomicdremora here on this forum for a Morrowind game, are here to facilitate the play of an Elder Scrolls game. Spellswords, Assassins, you name it.
What day is this going to be?
Well, that's up to all you folks. A vote might be best.
And where do I get the rules for this?
Moi, since the company itself has hit the bottom around 2005. I will also provide the homebrew rules to the game via pastebin.
What about Daggerfall?
Players of Oblivion should be very familiar with this kind of setting, but being the Elder Scrolls, there's still bits and pieces of lore available to see in the game. Go ahead and get it, Bethesda released it for free. And be noted, when you do make a character, it may be in your best interests to make a reason to know Emperor Uriel Septim. Reasons, friend.

Session 0: Privateer's Hold

Spoiler: Player List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Death Count (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:17:31 am by Phantom »

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: The Riddle of Daggerfall: A Homebrew Riddle of Steel Adventure [0/6]
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 01:56:45 am »

Reserving a spot, will post character sheet when it's ready. Wonderful idea by the way! I can't wait for it to start.

Edit: A note for newcomers - daggerfall is free, gruesomely painful to play, but does generate a backstory and reason to know the emperor after creating a character. I think the reason is random (or at least selected from a pool) so if you need ideas you could always try that

Edit:Edit: Almost done with character creation. Settling out those pesky spiritual attributes and spending septims
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:48:47 pm by Shinotsa »
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Riddle of Daggerfall: A Homebrew Riddle of Steel Adventure [1/6]
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:59:35 am »

The Riddle of Daggerfall: A Homebrew Riddle of Steel

Would you clarify what this is?

Riddle of Steel is a pen and paper roleplaying game based on a movie that's based on some books. Daggerfall is a PC game, the rules you're using are for Morrowind and you say people should be familiar with this if they've played Oblivion.

This is a web forum.

And the way all these things tie together is...

Homebrew! These rules, created by Atomicdremora here on this forum for a Morrowind game

...so you're going to run a Daggerfall-themed web forum game based on a Morrowind-themed custom homebrew variant of a pen and pen roleplaying game based on an old Arnold Schwarzenegger movie based loosely on a series of books?

Or is this even going to be a forum game? if it's a pen and paper ruleset, is this going to be played over roll20 or openrpg or something?

Because it's not very clear.

I will also provide the homebrew rules to the game via pastebin.

Ok. I guess a link would be helpful.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:21:45 am »

TRoS is incredibly fun, but I'm not overly knowledgeable on TES lore.
I'd be interested in playing anyhow, but if some diehard TES would like a shot, they'd probably be better suited. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 05:25:51 pm »

@LordBucket: Yeah, I realized that what I made was going to be really unclear.
The Riddle of Steel, although based on movies, is at it's base, a system. The base setting for Riddle of Steel is irrelevant.
There is a set of homebrew rules a friend had made for a Morrowind game, or suffice to say, is meant for the Elder Scrolls setting in general.
Daggerfall, setting wise, is much more similar to Oblivion than any other game in the Elder Scrolls series.
To reiterate, the setting of the game is in Daggerfall, during the events of said game, using a homebrew Elder Scrolls ruleset for the Riddle of Steel system.
The game is going to be mostly IRC based. Roll 20 will be used for larger fights that require terrain checks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:28:29 pm by Phantom »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 05:50:14 pm »

Well I played the hell out of Oblivion and currently playing Skyrim so I should try this.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 06:03:35 pm »

I've played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim and have watched a playthrough of Daggerfall. While I strongly recommend playing all of these games except daggerfall (unless you're a masochist in which case Daggerfall is the best to play), you pretty much get most of the important stuff from a single playthrough of any of the games, even Skyrim as watered down as some people find it. If you have never played an Elder Scrolls game at all then this may not be the best game for you to participate in, but if you have some experience with the series and want to get a better handle on the series and the lore, then this is a good place to start:

Lore
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 06:04:49 pm »

holycrapit'sphantom
YES.
seriously though. Miiiiiiiiight join. Sounds neat. :V

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 06:09:18 pm »

Brutal Elder Scrolls combat game focused around the Illiac Bay circa Fuck Time?
Yeeeeeesss...
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 06:12:53 pm »

Rightio. Folks interested, it'll be in your best interest to hop into irc.darkmyst.net, and from there, join #TROD. I'll be settling the problems such as the lack of books and rules there.