Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Astro Galaxy: New space exploration 4X browser game  (Read 20612 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Astro Galaxy: New space exploration 4X browser game
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 07:51:42 pm »

So I'm trying the tutorial now. It looks like a good game but I hate the fact that we can only install a few modules on planets. On some planets, you can install only one module. What the hell?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 06:01:22 pm »

So, I played it for a while and here are some tips for the newbies:

After you sign up, pay 50$ to buy QPs, turn some of them into solars and some of them into research points. Use the rest for space travel to complete the tutorial quickly. Use your advanced technology to build an awesome ship with the money you got from turning QPs into solars.

Congrats. You just skipped the first few weeks of the game.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 06:03:55 pm »

pay 50$ to buy QPs
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA nope.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 01:52:55 am »

You mean 'Pay $50 for a real, full-length game', right?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 08:39:11 am »

You mean 'Pay $50 for a real, full-length game', right?

Yup. Sure, you can ignore that pay-2-win stuff but after this game gets bigger, you won't be able to ignore the pay-2-win side of the game.

I have NEVER ever payed real money to get an advantage in a game. I may donate to a developer (who doesn't provide anything other than removing the adds, the captcha, adding a little star next to your nickname, etc) but paying real money for huge advantages? Not gonna happen. I played games like this but none of them provided such big advantages to the player who pays. If you pay, you can get instant space travel everywhere, 10k money for every QP (and 10k is really a lot when you are just starting out) and highly advanced tech.

To give you an example, I get 100 RPs (research points) every hour for now but if you pay 10$ to the game you can get 110 QPs which you can turn into 550000 RPs. That means 5500 hours for a new player who has just started. If you develop a little and let's say build five science labs 550000 RPs equals 1100 hours for you and that's still a lot. Same thing goes for in-game money too. Did I say you can skip the first few weeks by paying 50$ real money? After calculating this I think a player can skip roughly two months of gameplay by paying 50$.

BTW, that post was written in a sarcastic way to make a point about what kind of a pay-2-win game this is. My real tip to newbies is: Just stop playing it. Yeah there aren't many players in the game right now but when (or if) the game gets a lot more players, there is going to be some players who will ruin your weeks of work in a day by paying real money.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:40:59 am by Leatra »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 09:43:43 am »

Are there any 4x browser games that aren't pay to win?

I only know two, Ogame and Astro Galaxy...both heavy pay to wins. But, unaware of any other and ones that aren't so heavy on the cash shop.

Would be nice to play on my Android while I do traveling in the coming month.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 11:13:10 am »

Are there any 4x browser games that aren't pay to win?

I only know two, Ogame and Astro Galaxy...both heavy pay to wins. But, unaware of any other and ones that aren't so heavy on the cash shop.

Would be nice to play on my Android while I do traveling in the coming month.
I play Battlemaster. Donating just gives you a "Sir" or "Lady" in front of your characters' name and allows you to make an extra character (you can already have up to six total). It also works perfectly well on mobile phones.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kurdock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 06:43:58 am »

Hey, old thread but apparently it's encouraged to post on old threads instead of starting new topics.

I've played Astro Galaxy since 2014, took some month-long breaks here and there. I'm by no means a powerful player yet, because I wasted years trying to stake it out as a pirate (a horribly terrible way to make a living) and barely made any progress.

I just want to say that the game is not really pay to win. At a certain point, you'll find that buying QPs for research points or whatever ... it's ridiculously overpriced and there's no point. This is because modules (equipment on ships) are infinitely scalable and you can keep upgrading into level 100 ... level 1000 ... level 10000 as long as you've researched it and have the necessary minerals/gases to construct the module (level 10000 modules can take half a year to build ...)

While you can pay $10 and get 550000 RPs, also take note that the top players in the game right now produce over 100,000,000 RPs per hour with their massive science modules. I only produce a few million an hour (as I said, I'm pretty shit). But literally nobody at the higher levels ever buys QP for power. Really, $1000 for RPs that you can produce in one hour??

Same goes for other QP-exchangable commodities like solars (in-game money) and action points (a newly-introduced system that lets you speed up tasks like construction, wormhole jump timers etc at 1 hour per action point). The exchange rates are horrific, and while it's a good thing because everyone plays fair and doesn't get unfair advantages from paying, it's also bad because I think the dev has not been making a lot of money and development has been slow over the past year (he says he's working with Artificial Intelligence algorithms in the area of context prediction, English syntax and content generators, but who knows how true that is).

That said, the game is still immense fun and quite sandboxy. Initially the game starts off quite slow, but growth is exponential because you'll be getting many more ships to control (and micromanaging 50+ ships becomes quite tough at higher levels). The stronger you are, the faster you grow.

Feel free to ask me anything else!

Also: some updates that could interest you:

Super Nova Explosaions/Star Life Cycles

The star will destabilize in time and eventually go Super Nova. Captains may deploy special devices to prevent the supernova and stabilize a solar system.

When a star goes super nova, it leaves room for another star to be born somewhere else... some stars may also leave black holes behind.

Mysterious Encounters

+ Black holes can be left behind by exploding stars.
+ Wormholes can form in space between stars and around exploding stars

+ Wormholes lead far away into unknown space, new distant star pockets are discovered. A big wormhole links the distant pockets and shifts around at the edge on the star pocket, opening and closing. Smaller wormholes open and close leading to different parts of the same star pocket.

+ Alien civilization remnants are discovered in the new unexplored areas. Valuable alien artefacts are brought in for study in Sol system.

+ Black holes and wormholes have a lifetime, depending on it's size. For wormholes, size also determines the range of the jump.

+ Monsters lurking and mysterious events may lie between the empty space to distant star pockets...
Pages: 1 2 [3]