Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weird framerate issues due to embark site : very annoying  (Read 2240 times)

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird framerate issues due to embark site : very annoying
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 02:59:09 pm »

What I'd guess your seeing is the pathfinding of the zombies down in that demon fort.
As for the code issues, we're getting new features over fixes. The game is about a 1/3 don, if I understand the version numbering. If you had a project this massive, would you fix bugs now, just to throw out the entire fixed areas of code X months later?

What you seem to want is df, slightly different, with more dev support. If you find that somewhere, good for you. Maybe df should even be slightly different in the ways you want it to. But no amount of "I want more dev support" is going to make there be more dev support. There is no dev team, there is a dev. singular. When you consider that, I don't think that the current development plan is wrong.

TL:DR
I want to go slaughter goblin fortresses and burn forest retreats to the ground more then I want urist to stop dragging that whole barrel of seeds over to the dinning room.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 04:19:54 pm »

I am subscribed to only 2 forums, this one and another indie game forum. Both of them have recently had someone post a topic about how they don't like "x" and therefore the programmer needs to listen to them. Seriously? Have you seen the code for this game? Can you handle that kind of programming? I'm gonna assume no, because you're on here saying that Toady is dumber than you. Which means you're not on here telling everybody you have created Slaves to Armnotok: God of Hemoglobin Chapter II, Dwarf Castle which allows you to build a fortress from the ground up in a 3D, open world. It also sports Newtonian physics, the ability to have a population of over 1000, a full technology tree and AI so smart that if left to their own devices they'll become self-aware and rise up against you! Oh, and it will run at 10,000 FPS on a Commodore 64. I don't understand people like you. You created a bunch of worlds, ran them for 5 minutes, and then said they weren't playable. And then you came on here to insult someone for letting you do that for FREE. If you are as smart as you seem to believe you are, I cannot wait to play the game you create. When are you releasing it? How much is it gonna cost? I'm gonna pirate it, put it through a decompiler and then give the code away for free, but I'd still like to know what you think it's gonna be worth. How often will you update? Daily I assume since you're such an amazing programmer. And finally, how soon after you release it will it be ok for me to go on your forum and tell you how it's total crap, and that DF is a million times better?

Ajonos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 05:38:14 pm »

Well, on one hand, he is one guy doing all the work, and if we want more than a couple features per year, he's going to be letting something slip, whether that's bugs or performance.

On the other hand, it is super-ambitious indie projects like this that I wish would just go open-source. Personally, I program games for a living, there probably *are* some things I could do better than him. I'd love to give a crack at optimizing the pathfinding code, at the least. But we'll never know, since I'll never have the chance to try.

So I just come back to dwarf fortress every couple of years, play for a few months, then quit while I wait for the code to plod along.

tldr: I understand why the game is such a performance hog, but I also share your frustration.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 05:54:41 pm »

As a programmer you should also understand why he doesn't want other people poking around in his work. It's nearly impossible to set limits on what a person can and can't change when they have access to everything. If you work for a company that creates immense games then you know they only give access to specific parts of the game to the people working on that specific part. The team that's working on combat doesn't have the ability to change the terrain and vice versa. If you work for a company making small games you are either going to do everything on your own or with a small group. But then you're limited to that one project. Toady has a vision for DF. If he was to open source the code and let you take a crack at the pathfinding, that part of the game would be dictated by your vision.  Let the man follow his vision. He's never misled anyone about what this game is. So what, exactly, is the problem with him doing exactly as he says he's gonna do?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 06:16:02 pm »

I respect the sentiment of people who post "this kind of thread". They are agonized by how awesome DF is, even in it's imperfection.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 06:28:23 pm »

I respect the sentiment of people who post "this kind of thread". They are agonized by how awesome DF is, even in it's imperfection.

I think a lot of it is the view that with just a few relatively minor adjustments or improvements, DF could even more awesome than it already is. Its already amazing as it stands. As is, its already vastly better than those big, AAA titles. But it could be even better!

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 06:49:55 pm »

I think the world has room for Toady doing it like this. what other single-man game has created this kind of following and then not being hurt by going "big" in the ways being suggested?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]
Pages: 1 [2]