Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Let's Play Succession!  (Read 695 times)

Frizzil

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer, Guitarist, and Squirrel
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode Let's Play Succession!
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:47:25 pm »

Hello guys and gals,

There seems to be a severe lack of Adventure Mode Let's Plays on YouTube-- the only truly successful ones I've come across are by jefmajor, which are fantastic.  Since, in my opinion, adventure mode LPs have a TON of potential, we should go about attempting to fill this void!  How you ask?  By creating some sort of ridiculous Adventure Mode succession of sorts!

I've never done this kind of thing before, so suggestions on how exactly to structure this would be fantastic.  However, I've already taken a crack at a few LPs, and I'll proceed to stick them down below :)  Feel free to post any LPs you've created until some kinda formal structure is established.  If things take off, we can even have a voting system and compile a list of some truly epic LPs for everyone to enjoy, hehe.

Here are my submissions:
The Horrible Tale of Ilre Hornbreakfast
Sath Moistnessfancies the Chunkonator, Part 1
Sath Moistnessfancies the Chunkonator, Part 2
Lelgo Latherwipes, Hurler of Large Objects
Lecit, Son of Lelgo (Part 1)
Lecit, Son of Lelgo (Part 2)

Tell me what you think, I enjoyed making these and plan on making more (I'm keeping this list entirely updated).  I'm relatively inexperienced at LPing, so constructive criticism is more than welcome.

Note: the first one is stupidly zoomed out, but it's corrected by the next LP.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:39:21 pm by Frizzil »

Frizzil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode LP Succession! Be needin' some ideas.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:22:14 am »

I greatly modified the original post-- this is now yer standard succession thread, see?  I also added an additional LP, to which I'm currently uploading the second half.  Hehe.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:57:17 pm »

I'd love to help you with this, but I get very little time to record, and I'm having a bug where I can't load adventure mode saves.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Frizzil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »

I'd love to help you with this, but I get very little time to record, and I'm having a bug where I can't load adventure mode saves.

No big, I think I'm underestimating how difficult it is to actually be in a position to record a DF LP :P
  • Gotta have a decent computer
  • Gotta have a decent microphone
  • Gotta have Fraps and properly configured graphics for DF
  • Gotta look good on camera!

Anyhow, if you manage to get in a position to record, don't hesitate to do so and post whatever you make, epicness will surely ensue.

Just so everyone knows, if you want to record an LP, I strongly recommend using Fraps.  To get DF working with it, however, you'll need to open data/init/init.txt and change "[PRINT_MODE:2D]" to "[PRINT_MODE:STANDARD]".  All this does is swap from something like SDL graphics to OpenGL graphics, which will make no noticeable impact other than allowing you to use Fraps with DF :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:55:15 pm by Frizzil »

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:42:42 pm »

Oh, thanks! I'll try to get one done and uploaded soon enough, then. :)
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Frizzil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:27:32 pm »

Just began an entire, lengthy series for my most recent adventurer: Lecit Latherwipes, son of Lelgo, Hurler of Large Objects!  I also abandoned Movie Maker in favor of Adobe Premiere, and the sound quality is markedly improved (the video quality's a tad better as well.)  It's about time I made the transition XD

Does nobody else wanna make an LP?!  Geez, I feel all alone... like a solitary eagle... that has yet to be beaten to death by a companion.  :(