Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mercenarys  (Read 622 times)

MortalMiniatures

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mercenarys
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:05:58 pm »

Not entirely sure how thisll work, but it would be good if you could hire mercenary somehow, something along the lines of human knights on some form of mounts would be cool

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenarys
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:41:33 pm »

Planned and hopefully incoming the next development cycle after this, as it's linked to when we get taverns in fortress mode which I believe I recall was mentioned not to be too far off. Also suggested A LOT ;)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:30:24 am »

In a way, it's possible to mod this in, already.

You could, in the same way that elves bring caged animals, purchase "caged" mercenaries from different entities. These could be whatever you want them to be, and they could, hypothetically, become active members of your Fortress.

The main part that I'm not sure about is how exactly they would interact with your dwarfs, so that would take some thought, but I'm pretty confident that it's possible to mod in "mail-order-mercs" in this manner.

For they would be your masters.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:58:43 am »

We'll see this when the "Military Arc" rolls around. It's likely we'll also see a primitive system in the "Inn/Tavern Arc" where drunken visitors smash some invading goblin skulls.

I doubt you'd see mercenary forces being employed for early settlements though. Unless they're being paid directly by the civ instead of the settlement there's little to offer mercenaries as payment. The only thing that comes to mind is palming off land titles and nobility if they help get your settlement prosperous, although that seems more like the work of landless knights or adventurers and also seems a bit too long-term for mercs.
There's plenty of events that could happen regarding non-controlled mercs and small settlements. There's stuff like looting, squatting, extorting or just visiting for some ale and supplies. It would be quite fun to see young naïve dwarves running off to join the "Bloodaxe Bastards" who are camped across the river.