Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications huh?  (Read 1458 times)

Desgeretjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortifications huh?
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:53:56 am »

I thought only projectiles and liquids could pass through, but somehow i've a stray chinchilla corpse stuck in one.
Hmm.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortifications huh?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:51:50 am »

Perhaps it was used as a projectile. :P
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:57:37 am »

Perhaps the chinchilla was liquid enough when entering, but dried out and became stuck before it could leave
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:00:19 am »

Bodies and body parts can become projectiles after being subjected to violence. I like to set up shooting galleries with fortifications and frequently will get fingers and teeth and such flying back out to get stuck in the fortification.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:14 am »

Yeah... fortifications are great miasma generators - just what your miserable marksdwarves need.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:38:01 am »

That's what taking joy in slaughter is for. I'd be happy though if after a few years of beating back the zombie apocalypse Momuz the soldier would quit crying about being attacked by the dead. Personally I'd think taking a warhammer to a disembodied elf head (I guess it rolls itself at you, or something) could be great sport for the squad.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 07:57:30 pm »

On topic: is your region a reanimator or do you have necromancers wandering about?  that would explain how the poor thing got stuck.  It was launched as a corpse and got stuck in the fortification then was reanimated.  Try de-animating it and deconstructing a (b)uilt (C)onstruction nearby.

Off topic:
That's what taking joy in slaughter is for. I'd be happy though if after a few years of beating back the zombie apocalypse Momuz the soldier would quit crying about being attacked by the dead. Personally I'd think taking a warhammer to a disembodied elf head (I guess it rolls itself at you, or something) could be great sport for the squad.
Is it wrong that I am reworking my elven death engine deportation devices to include attempts at beheadings?  I now have a desperate need to have my zombie practice room feature undead cricket.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 09:53:00 pm »

Personally I'd think taking a warhammer to a disembodied elf head (I guess it rolls itself at you, or something) could be great sport for the squad.
I'd imagine it would use a combination of tongue and jaw to move in some weird catapiler-style movement.
Actually, I'd think Doef (Dwarves only, Elves forbidden) would be a wonderous pass-time. You hit an elf head, and whoever gets it to spread over the largest possible area wins.
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 10:35:34 pm »

In the past, some players have had success forcing creatures through fortifications with water pressure.  You might be able to get your guest (and any future clutter) out with some kind of pressure washing system.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:19:18 am »

Sounds like something hit the chinchilla hard enough to send it flying through the air and it got lodged in your fortifications. Ive had it happen before with what looked like an entire raiding party's worth of goblin jawbones (my hammerdwarves are rather good at what they do). Personally I left them there because I liked the thought of how it looked but unless you want to try and scare enemies away by mounting tiny, dead rodents on your battlements as a warning your best bet is to deconstruct the fortifications, dump the corpse then rebuild them.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Desgeretjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 02:45:41 pm »

With more testing I've just found out that apparently you can hit something with a flying bolt hard enough to send them through fortifications.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 04:57:21 pm »

serrated blade traps can send stuff into fortifications above them too... I have a small collection of troll parts thanks to building the goblin grinder and having a siege before the grates above it were placed.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.