Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stop the auto-pause!  (Read 10137 times)

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stop the auto-pause!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 10:45:49 am »

to cater to a less tech apt audience some kind of menu system for config options should be present.

Currently much of the code is obscure even if toady is much better about commenting and making it understandable than most devs

of course this would take away from the patch but would possible make this game appeal to a somewhat larger audience

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 05:08:25 pm »

Just get the Lazy Newb Pack. It has a GUI for init options.
[Signature]

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 01:26:17 am »

Instead of an init option, just make it so you can pause/unpause right there ingame.

I prefer keeping it paused when i'm designating, so if for example i make a mistake with designating stuff to mine and i don't realize the mistake until i check everything's designated right, that mistake won't end up with a FB being freed because that one wall i accidentally marked for mining was the one wall keeping the FB out. Etc.
Agreed. I actually like how the game pauses; it means that my miner won't starve while I'm trying to figure out how to dig him out.

Well, if it would work like squads menu, then you could pause it and take your time foruging out what to do.

Thinking of it, non-pausing nature of squads menu is actually useless unless you are selecting harmless wildlife to be hunted.

One thing that would be helpful and somewhat related to this is the ability to enable/disable auto-pause from within the game. For example wet/warm stone discovery. The reason I am saying from within the game is that there are situations where you know that digging in that area is safe and you want to do it anyway. That add-on to that would be to be able to turn off designation cancellations under certain conditions as well, and for the same reason.
Like if you know that the stone is damp from the river overhead?

Right. For that, you want to disable autopause and removal of designation. But only for that - when you are digging down to magma layer or flooded caverns you want to enable it becuase you have no idea what is down there. But you would want to disable it again when you discover magma sea and want to make some magma-powered workshops.

And you do not really want to restart game each time you toogle this.

Consider it one of 'o'rders options.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 04:50:57 pm »

Agree.

Would make the starting year of DF much less painful if a squad menu pause thing was avaible.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 07:16:38 pm »

Instead of an init option, just make it so you can pause/unpause right there ingame.

I prefer keeping it paused when i'm designating, so if for example i make a mistake with designating stuff to mine and i don't realize the mistake until i check everything's designated right, that mistake won't end up with a FB being freed because that one wall i accidentally marked for mining was the one wall keeping the FB out. Etc.
Agreed. I actually like how the game pauses; it means that my miner won't starve while I'm trying to figure out how to dig him out.

Well, if it would work like squads menu, then you could pause it and take your time foruging out what to do.
I'm aware of that, I'm just saying that I agree with...erm...Curse you, lack of photographic memory! Something about agreeing with the second part but not wanting to comment on the first because I am ambivalent.

Thinking of it, non-pausing nature of squads menu is actually useless unless you are selecting harmless wildlife to be hunted.
That's my main use for military. Even when sieges start rolling in, there are always more tasty little animals than goblins.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 10:20:02 pm »

Thinking about it more, I think it might be best if the game auto-pauses when you enter the designations menu, but then allows you to unpause it without leaving the designations menu by pressing the space bar.

This behavior could likewise be applied to the squad menu, I know I always hit (s) when I need to send my military out, then realize the game didn't pause five or ten seconds later, pause it, give my squad(s) orders, and unpause it to let the action begin.

It'd feel much more natural to me if the squads menu would pause the game, but allow me to unpause it once I've finished designating my initial squad maneuvers, so I can keep ordering squads around without pausing if I like.

Whether to auto-pause should probably be a global init option (outside the raws), and the default for both menus should probably be to pause the game, the feature we really want here is the ability to unpause for those times when you wish you could keep designating on the fly.

dos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 12:38:39 am »

Yeah, so I'm in the middle of building a 139 magma pump stacks...this bitch is big...And the amount of time I've been paused is looooong, not to mention the crazy wait that will ensue as I wait for home boy (x200)to drag ass around building and mining.  A system similar to the squad menu,where one can still toggle pause on/off would be great as it just leaves the choice up the sage discretion of [insert_name].

I looked up in the future plans and didn't see any mention of such, so I figured this would be an acceptable break from my pump stack toils.

And did anyone figure out how to accomplish this anyway? INIT alteration? Prayer? Face Palm? Atom smash some dwarfs?
We can build the bridge tomorrow if price is no object...EEEEhhhhh..We'll get estimates....

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 12:50:56 am »

The best I can offer you is TiVo and/or making yourself a nice snack after doing a couple hours of designation to wait for your orders to be carried out.  (And it's for those reasons that I like to keep my auto-pauses on - so that things don't go out of control when I'm not at the computer.) 

Also, I tend to keep my browser on and responding to the forums when I let the simulation run in the background.

Even a single-digit FPS is no problem if you just pause-and-designate and then let the game run while you sleep.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]