Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your Best Engravings -or- The Sanity of Your Engraver  (Read 3349 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Your Best Engravings -or- The Sanity of Your Engraver
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 11:27:58 am »

The one thing a noble should never, ever like are large gems. Production mandates for those are a sure recipe for desaster.

This touches on a question I never got answered, mostly because it pains me to do so ingame. Can stones become large gems? Sounds unlikely. Cutting stones and then encrusting them on stuff can probably be valuable in the long run though. Much like engraving it helps a bit to make dwarves happy.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 02:00:09 pm »

I get a lot of statues of my baron surrounded by amulets.   Presumably because he perpetually demands amulets forbids their export.  You're probably already wondering why I put up with him.  It is because I picked him myself and to get rid of him would be to admit I was wrong with my nomination.  In my forts, I am never wrong!

Hey, at least asking for amulets is reasonable. He could be the kind of guy who constantly demands glass shit on a map with no sand.

It's more interesting for sure, what, with the beatings and all when I forget to pay attention!  A few times my hammerer didn't kill them, but uh, he's been getting better recently.  I need to stop giving him so much practice...

I put a amulet-only stockpile down in his royal area, guarded by dogs, that takes amulets out of my crafts output stockpile so that I don't accidentally trade away a bin full of them and give my clothier (why my clothiers?  they can't make amulets you jerk!) 10 life sentences.    I like my crazy loot-hoarding baron.

I also like my mayor, because he's a cool guy and mollifies a lot of the more upset dwarves that might otherwise tantrum.   I'm almost positive he's the reason that the faulty clothing orders for my military that left them all nude and on patrol for months didn't kill half my fortress.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 02:14:22 pm »

"Engraved is an image of (ExpeditionLeader) and Vomit. The vomit is striking down the (Expedition Leader).

So... yeah... flying vomis is deadly...

As long as the vomit isn't striking a menacing pose...

You were saying?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My art blows but I couldn't resist :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 06:34:45 pm »

The one thing a noble should never, ever like are large gems. Production mandates for those are a sure recipe for desaster.

This touches on a question I never got answered, mostly because it pains me to do so ingame. Can stones become large gems? Sounds unlikely. Cutting stones and then encrusting them on stuff can probably be valuable in the long run though. Much like engraving it helps a bit to make dwarves happy.

I think they can, because I recall foolishly making my Baron a large gem lover and then immediately getting a large gem mandate, and I cut a shitton of rocks until I got enough large gems to please her. Which did eventually happen. I think.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 [2]