Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non "cheaty" way of bolt seperation  (Read 742 times)

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non "cheaty" way of bolt seperation
« on: January 23, 2013, 05:45:01 am »

I discovered this by accident when creating an archery range above ground.

My archers has a range on my walls, located a few paces away is an archery target.

When my archers go for training on the target, their dabbling skill means that most of the bolts miss and naturally end up on the ground.

And after a few rounds of gallery shooting on zombies outside, I'm beginning a new zombie training ground, most probably underground where my archers will spam bolts on a zed one z level down,isolated in a single tile. So, bolts that hit the zed? Bolt recovery crew post training.Bolts that miss, well archers, you have to go recover your own ammo.

I don't consider this a "cheat" since you won't get back 110% of metal, but prior to my archers being so skilled, it was sufficient to recover enough metal that it wasn't a nett loss from training. Enough for me to recycle my silver bolts into Hammers and decorations anyway.....(I'm thinking of silver swords next for max anti zombie theme)

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non "cheaty" way of bolt seperation
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:59:05 am »

A good way to unstack coins or bolts is stockpile them in an isolated room, get an unhappy dwarf in there (somehow), lock the door, and when they throw a tantrum they'll grab the stack and throw them around individually. A stack of 500 coins usually ends up as a stack of ~300 coins and about 200 single coins laying on the ground.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:08:35 am »

A good way to unstack coins or bolts is stockpile them in an isolated room, get an unhappy dwarf in there (somehow), lock the door, and when they throw a tantrum they'll grab the stack and throw them around individually. A stack of 500 coins usually ends up as a stack of ~300 coins and about 200 single coins laying on the ground.

Oh I like this, I like it a lot.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:13:07 am »

You can also unstack items through trade, and macros.

A bit more work, but very effective after you set it up.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:15:26 pm »

A sufficient number of wooden bolts is enough. Even wooden bolts, in large numbers, can be very lethal.

If you want to go with metal, an archery range in a 3x20 room, with only a single tile wide shooting gallery with a pit on either side is the most efficient for unstacking bolts. Make the archery range at maximum size, so odds are that nearly every bolt will hit a wall and fall into the pit unharmed, where they can be recovered.

In my experience archery ranges really aren't needed. Just go with a large blob of marksdwarves with wooden bolts. 50+ marksdwarves all firing wooden bolts at the same target will drop anything. Including dragons.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 09:07:05 pm »

For my marksdorf training needs, I leave goblins in a danger room for a while until they can block or dodge all incoming bolts. Normally I'm against danger rooms, but hey, using them on your enemy is pretty dorfy. You'll need to leave the goblins with their weapons though, so if they end up getting out... yeah, bad things. Don't try thieves, as daggers seem to suck at blocking spears.

For bolt separation, someone built a device that timed things perfectly to collect bolts after they're shot.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:34 pm »

What about piling them on top of a bridge-a-pult?

Basically, a room with a channeled out floor, and 3 walls. When the bridge is down, it covers up the hole in the floor. The hole prevents accidental atom smashing. You dump all the bolts on top of the bridge, then pull the lever.  The bridge raises, and throws the stacks in random directions, like an angry dwarf would. The walls prevent the items from flying in most directions, so most will fall safely down the hole.

Eg,

Bridge down:

OOOOOOOO
OBBBBBBO
OBBBBBBO
OBBBBBBO
OBBBBBBO
OOO++OOO

Bridge up:
OOOOOOOO
O=======O
O________O
O________O
O________O
OOO++OOO

100% of flying items can be made to safely fall down the hole by putting doors in the entrance, and locking them before pulling the toss-me lever.