Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Abundance of Resources, Metalworking, Improved Economy, and Caravans  (Read 22961 times)

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Re: Abundance of Resources, Metalworking, Improved Economy, and Caravans
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:32 pm »

Why do you think diamonds were valued?
One reason their price is high is the effort that goes into obtaining them. Labor costs of mining, safeguarding, and transporting diamonds makes them expensive to own. And there's people who just want stuff because it's expensive.
Diamonds became expensive because a certain corporation had a successful marketing campaign and is now holding a complete monopoly over diamond production. The street price of diamonds in West Africa is a tiny fraction of what it is in the rest of the world. They're not very rare and they're certainly not very hard to get out of the ground, although the coffee cup diamond thing was a troll. I seriously hope it was a troll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Beers#Gem_diamonds

Diamonds only became valued in the 19th century.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »

Why would it be a troll? A troll is something said to incite strong emotion or whip up tension in a thread. Claiming to make a diamond in a microwave is hardly a troll.

Also, it's true.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Synthetic-Diamond/

Sheepherder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2010, 11:09:53 pm »

My last line? If so I will clarify by saying that I'd rather not carry lots of heavy gold bars around if I could easily change them into diamonds and back again without much loss of value. I will further clarify by saying I got the idea from elsewhere; I don't know if he knew his history but I once heard a Jewish diamond dealer claiming that so many diamond dealers are Jewish because it's easier to flee in the night with your wealth in diamonds than in bags of cement (his example).

No, the line I snipped off of Forsaken1111's post, I was initially not going to even bother responding to it, changed my mind, but didn't change the quote.  You're talking sense.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Prank-the-Instructables-Community/

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2010, 11:52:42 pm »

Why would it be a troll? A troll is something said to incite strong emotion or whip up tension in a thread. Claiming to make a diamond in a microwave is hardly a troll.

Also, it's true.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Synthetic-Diamond/

OK, I admit it: This WAS an April Fool's Day prank. In fact, it's the basis for my entry into the Instructables' April Fools Contest, "How to Prank the Instructables Community".

I appreciate all the comments. To those who weren't fooled, bravo. And to those who were, take comfort that you made a great contribution to this effort.

Thanks.

Anyways..Back onto the topic, we generally need an overhaul, at least the caravans is a step in the right step as things seem to be centered around taking and consuming resources (at least the world does)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2010, 03:00:24 am »

Hah, well that's me looking like an ass. I read this a while back and just remembered it when this topic came up, I didn't check the text at the top. Sorry about that.  :o

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2013, 05:12:30 pm »

forgive me if I necro'd the wrong thread...I *think* this is the most recent of the economy threads...
OK...
tl:dr: real money is not tied directly to one good. it is loosely tied to several goods simultaneously. 
a bit of thought dumping:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The current model includes only a very limited supply/demand; mostly, the player may increase the caravan supply of iron anvils by paying more for them.  Everything is still based around the dwarfbuck, though...and the individual-dwarf economy is horribly broken...unlike with humans, dwarves seem to do incredibly well with communism...it's as if they were in a hive-mind controlled by the player. 

now

the original individual economy was a disaster.  I propose the following modifications:

1.  "room rent" fix: 1x1 rooms are free or super cheap.
2. raw food is free.
3.  Dwarves should be permitted to automatically expand or contract their room. (I EXPECT the king to grow his room to cover an entire, only to find himself selling his clothes, getting laughed at, and experiencing fun first hand when he runs into magma to escape the shame.  )
4.  Dormitories should give mild happy thoughts if they are of throne-room quality, and prevent grumbling about sleeping quarters at modest or decent quality.   
5. coin fix; dwarves need to restack their coins over time. 
6.  the player (aka the king/hive mind) can controll fortress goods without causing grumbling, and can decide which of these are sold.  Forcibly purchasing a dwarf's ownded shirt will frequently cause an unhappy thought. 
7.  that which is produced is a fortress good by default
8.  Dwarves receive a fraction of the value added by their labor...modified by existing supply-demand factors...PLUS a value dictated artificially by the player. Dwarves will grumble a bit if they think someone is being payed ridiculous sums for lever pulling, regardless of how important that lever is to the safety of the fort.  They will not grumble much about the king being payed. 
9.  The player controlls which types of fort goods are purchaseable by dwarves; the military seriously needs those wooden bolts after all.
10.  The player may dictate whether the price of a good is pinned to a specific value, or allowed to change based on supply and demand.
11. Dwarves prefer coins and will grumble more and more about not having them over time.  But the player says when there are enough coins minted to make the switch.

12. dwarves who want something will occasionally grumble if its not to be found.  They will grumble even more if they want something that's in the fortress stocks but have not been able to purchase it for some time.  may be allieviated in the short run by letting them admire the object if it is a placeable object. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]