Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Returning after hiatus: things I need to know?  (Read 981 times)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Returning after hiatus: things I need to know?
« on: January 27, 2013, 05:30:58 am »

Hey all, I am returning after a short hiatus from the game, and I notice there are a lot of changes. I have a fort in 34.07 that I would like to carry over to 34.11, are there any raws I need to change in my save? I know the mining has change, and I'm not sure how that is going to affect the old fort, does anyone have info on that? What about the old utilities like DF hack(for digv) and dwarf therapist? I consider both of those a must have to play. How has the new version affected the old lag problem, any better? I run about 100 dorfs at 25 fps in 34.07, will i see any improvement on that? Any info is appreciated, looking forward to getting rolling in the new version!
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Returning after hiatus: things I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 05:39:46 am »

A lot of questions. I bet they arent compatible and that you have to start a new fort in the newest version. Just download lazy newbpack and play.

The fps is just as bad as it was before though.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 06:16:12 am »

I know the mining has change, and I'm not sure how that is going to affect the old fort, does anyone have info on that?
The amount of blocks dropped while mining is not affected by skill anymore. Itnow drops 1 stone every 3-4 or so diggings.
But as a compensation 1 ore makes 4 bars and you can make 4 stoneblocks out of 1 stone.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:07:03 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Release_information

They might be compatible. Although I still dont see why you shouldnt generate a new world in the newest version, considering there are likely many bug fixes.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:53:10 am »

The FPS is no where near as bad as it used to be.   But... hang on to DFhack to clean contaminants, ownership, etc.  One time, cleaning the map of contaminants took my FPS from 25 to 50 (my cap. I am patient.  and also slow.   But at least my super agile champion isn't essentially teleporting anymore.)

That's just blood and stuff;  Provided it's not horrible forgotten beast goo it's not really cheaty, but dwarves get their clothes all dirty and cleaning contaminants will sometimes remove blood from many thousands of articles of clothing and shoes and such, along with water coverings.

I personally don't clean the map until I've manually cleaned dangerous contaminants myself, because otherwise the caverns would pose no real threat whatsoever, but that's a personal thing.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:20:22 pm »

All right, sounds like i should just start a new fort. It is a shame too since it is a half built megafortress built around/out of a mountain, and I have not even breached the second cavern layer yet. It will not be the first megafortress I have abandoned before finished. . .
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:53:00 am »

Don't think of it as abandoning. Think of it as putting it in a state of stasis, to be resumed later. I have a number of .7z archives sitting in my saves folder, to be loaded up again when bugs are fixed.

The save should be compatable; the most major change was from .07 to .08, where:
* Minecarts and Wheelbarrows were introduced (Toady made it so that old saves can get I think it was a wheelbarrow, it was a while ago)
* Wagons are in again (from traders) (wagons can not pass over traps; however, traps already built in pre-08 games still permit wagons)
* Hauling overhaul (reactions have been changed) (you should be able to edit your raws yourself to get the new ratios)
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 12:49:05 pm »

Yeah, the save is compatible you just need to edit the raws to add wheelbarrows, mine carts, and have the changes ratios for the fuel reactions. I believe you can do this by simply copying over the item_tool.txt and reaction_smelter.txt files from your new version of DF into the old save folder raws and then overwriting the files.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.