Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Semi-megabeasts having more influence, numbers and forming (usually small) civs.  (Read 4076 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How could a few thousand townspeople defeat three or four giants, without at a minimum massive damage to their town?

Whoa a few thousand? Those giants are doomed.

How? Weapons, bows, arrows, siege crossbows.

It is unlikely but they can even be defeated in 1 on 1 combat with a moderately trained soldier with decent armor. Yet alone the militia force of a 1000 population village (Which would be 100 strong)

Weapons and armor really closes the gap.

That and it helps that the ONLY creature that is anywhere close to the power of its original counterpart is the Minotaur who is even TOUGHER then it was in mythology (Where it was unarmed and enslaved)

It doesn't help that this is an "epic" universe.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:37:27 pm by Neonivek »

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile

I would think the villager mob would eventually get a lucky hit like most messed up adventure modes...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

How could a few thousand townspeople defeat three or four giants, without at a minimum massive damage to their town?
Whoa a few thousand? Those giants are doomed.
How? Weapons, bows, arrows, siege crossbows.
It is unlikely but they can even be defeated in 1 on 1 combat with a moderately trained soldier with decent armor. Yet alone the militia force of a 1000 population village (Which would be 100 strong)
Weapons and armor really closes the gap.
That and it helps that the ONLY creature that is anywhere close to the power of its original counterpart is the Minotaur who is even TOUGHER then it was in mythology (Where it was unarmed and enslaved)
It doesn't help that this is an "epic" universe.
Thick skin and such helps a lot.
Human skin has a thickness of 2-3 mm. Assume a giant is (5.5*[cube root of 9,000,000/70,000]) about 30 feet tall. Its skin is 1-1.5 cm thick. Subcutaneous tissue in humans is a couple millimeters thick, but would be a few centimeters on a giant. That adds up. Oh, and the humans would mostly be attacking the feet and ankles, maybe the calves; leather high boots of giant size would ruin the humans' attacks. It would be like if you were killed by someone shooting larger-than-average splinters at you while chopping at your boots with...dull scalpel-sized blades? And even if you did die, you'd kill a bunch of those puny people. Armor doesn't provide much protection against being stepped on, or picked up and thrown. Is it worth so many losses just to not have to give up some food?

I would think the villager mob would eventually get a lucky hit like most messed up adventure modes...
In DF 0.34.11? Sure, eventually a villager would get lucky and punch the giant in the head, shattering the skull, driving the skull through the brain, and tearing apart the brain, The Giant has been struck down. By similar principles, a dozen rabbits can take down an elephant. We're not talking current!DF, though, we're talking 1.0, where you'd need to be really tall to reach a giant's head.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it worth so many losses just to not have to give up some food?

Trust me they cannot afford it. They can barely feed themselves.

As well a charging lance even on a giant could easily cripple it. As well Giants do not possess the wound resistance (outside of dulled pain from their incredible size) and thus could be killed by a simple cut along a major artery.

Mind you if the Giant was more intelligent and thrown rocks... I cannot think of many ways outside an outright military unit that could stop it.

leather high boots of giant size would ruin the humans' attacks

Good luck on the Giant getting enough leather.

----

Actually I just thought of something. Right now we have very few Semimegabeasts and Megabeasts in vanilla.

Perhaps this discussion should be going in the dirrection of how to use these concepts with new Semimegabeasts to make very well constructed and interesting ones.

Mind you the (Semi)Megabeasts do need to breed more. They are so unthreatening they can be easily killed on mass.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:43:09 pm by Neonivek »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it worth so many losses just to not have to give up some food?
Trust me they cannot afford it. They can barely feed themselves.
Depends on the town. Just like modern times.

As well a charging lance even on a giant could easily cripple it. As well Giants do not possess the wound resistance (outside of dulled pain from their incredible size) and thus could be killed by a simple cut along a major artery.
How many major arteries could you reach? You can't reach above the ankle, maybe the calf, and any halfway intelligent giant would be wearing boots.

Mind you if the Giant was more intelligent and thrown rocks... I cannot think of many ways outside an outright military unit that could stop it.
Waddya know...
1. Giants in many fantasy worlds (including D&D, a major influence on fantasy in general and DF in specific) throw boulders.
2. Giants have the INTELLIGENT tag but not, last time I checked, SLOW_LEARNER, making them about as smart as humans.

leather high boots of giant size would ruin the humans' attacks
Good luck on the Giant getting enough leather.
If you're a giant, you could just wrestle an elephant, snap off a tusk, stab it in the heart, and fashion boots from its hide. Giants are, like, 30 feet tall.

Actually I just thought of something. Right now we have very few Semimegabeasts and Megabeasts in vanilla.
Perhaps this discussion should be going in the dirrection of how to use these concepts with new Semimegabeasts to make very well constructed and interesting ones.
Not in my opinion. You could say what semi/megabeasts would need, in your opinion, to do these things, but suggesting new S/MB's to fill those needs would fall under the purview of a new thread.

Mind you the (Semi)Megabeasts do need to breed more. They are so unthreatening they can be easily killed on mass.
En masse, but yeah.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SLOW_LEARNER, making them about as smart as humans

Honestly Slow Learner is the "stupid" tag to me... or rather whatever creature has it is stupid.

So naw, Humans are smarter then Giants.

any halfway intelligent giant would be wearing boots

So yeah, they are kinda not halfway intelligent.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SLOW_LEARNER, making them about as smart as humans
Honestly Slow Learner is the "stupid" tag to me... or rather whatever creature has it is stupid.
So naw, Humans are smarter then Giants.
I meant to type that they don't have the Slow Learner tag.

any halfway intelligent giant would be wearing boots
So yeah, they are kinda not halfway intelligent.
They...actually are, if you read the raws and ignore my toyp.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]