Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I had a question about libtcod and tilesets.  (Read 1676 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I had a question about libtcod and tilesets.
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:08:29 pm »

I know I should go to those forums. But is there anyone here who knows what resolutions I can make the tiles? I don't want them to be extra blurry if I zoom in.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: I had a question about libtcod and tilesets.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:13:33 pm »

Can can make the tiles any resolution.
Basically when you set your custom font, you need to include the dimensions of the tileset in terms on tiles, and it figures out how large each tile is from that.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:29:06 pm »

Theoretically, you can make 1x1 tilesets for a pixel screen xD
Of course, if you do that there's no real reason to use libtcod other than the nifty utilities it has. O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:32:56 pm »

Although if you want a real time game using libtcod with a 1*1 size tileset would be ill advised. Libtcod isn't the fastest thing in the universe when it comes to these things, normally that isn't an issue, but it won't work well in extremes.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:13:32 pm »

Oh, yes xD Putting pixels is already slow, but libtcod asds another layer to go through.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 03:35:50 pm »

So another thing I was wondering is if I make the resolution larger will it just look larger and larger... for bigger resolutions? Or will it be squished down and look less blurry and blocky. Like how 3d games can do that without the textures taking larger and larger areas. Also if that is some kind of effect that allows 3d games to do that. What is it called and can I use it with libtcod/2d games.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:17:13 pm by HavingPhun »