Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A system that could randomly generate large quest lines like lotr, wheel of time  (Read 1274 times)

Heker_88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's true I suppose, but I guess that has somewhat with how someone decides to play. Yes you could wall him in but he'd still be alive (I don't think demons starve do they) and there for the quest is uncompleat. As for burning places down etc Toady all ready plans to track actions like that so there's no reason it wouldn't effect some kind of quest system. And @ Putnam (I don't know how to quote) yes to some exstent these kind of story's would play out but without any kind of foreshadowing they lose a sence of purpose almost like you not striving for something, just trying to do as much as possible before you die. And I think that kind of story is less fun to be a part of.  I don't think quest lines would have to be mandatory,the could be turned on or off in world gen say.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

I see this as being eminently possible without scripting.It will be a while away, but the bare basics is simply the personality rewrite. Give people enough goals bouncing off each other and interesting things are sure to happen. Throw in artifacts, magic, and not being the only adventurer in the world and you're set.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile

Well how about conspiracies also. A usurper contacts the hero telling him that he is the true heir to the crown(whether he is or not) and it leads on a whole story of getting close to the person, setting up an assassination, storming the castle, taking control. Or confronting the ruler or doing something completely different, lots of options with this.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Well how about conspiracies also. A usurper contacts the hero telling him that he is the true heir to the crown(whether he is or not) and it leads on a whole story of getting close to the person, setting up an assassination, storming the castle, taking control. Or confronting the ruler or doing something completely different, lots of options with this.
Sounds Fun. Problem is, that's not so much an "epic quest" as a "quest with epic effects on the world."

A real Epic Quest would be nice to have sometimes, but would probably require a lot of "planning ahead" on DF's part. While that would be awesome, I don't think computers are too good at open-ended planning...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile

Sounds Fun. Problem is, that's not so much an "epic quest" as a "quest with epic effects on the world."

A real Epic Quest would be nice to have sometimes, but would probably require a lot of "planning ahead" on DF's part. While that would be awesome, I don't think computers are too good at open-ended planning...

Right. I think this option is a tad more realistic.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!
Pages: 1 [2]