Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Talented artisans making art series  (Read 798 times)

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Talented artisans making art series
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:55:49 pm »

If you designate many repeated creative precesses, like making status on repeat or engraving a nobles bedroom, an artist could have a chance of making a series on a particular topic, based on their skill.. Maybe they would pick a hist fig and make engrave/carve/whatever their several parts of their history. Perhaps it could map out the notable bits of the career of a legendary crafts dwarf (He settles, marries, moods, gives birth, and gets eaten by an giant olm, which is killed by a lucky farmer) or the political history of the fort (Settled, Expedition leader fired, New one appointed, becomes mayer, mayor eaten by giant olm, new mayor) or maybe the history of your or a rival civ. I think it would be interesting to see more complete sections of the history, instead of dozens of images of different dwarves some elf killed in 25 (How did that elf die? Did we get justice? Did he settle in a mountain? Could I find his named weapon in adventure mode?)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 01:59:26 pm by Bytyan »

TantrumTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Talented artisans making art series
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:53:30 pm »

I realize this is slightly off-topic, but dwarfs could have preferences for historical figures.

UristMcMason likes granitemachine the typhoon of lancing the dragon for his murder of 142 elves in the summer of 39.

The more craftsdwarfs you have, the more variety in decoration you will get.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Somewhere along the way this innocent thread about cheese went horribly, horribly wrong.
I'd say it's par for the course. Did you see that crundle thread? That one started out wrong.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:25:53 pm »

HE GAVE BIRTH?  POOR GUY!!!!!

But really, I think it would be nice if the history was biased.  So for instance, if your fortress wanted to break off from its civ and you kept saying no, people would get mad.  One way to tell what they want is to look at the engravings and guess what your people want.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:33:32 pm »

Urist McIdentitycrysis canceled give birth: too injured

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:38:35 pm »

I always thought it worked that way back when I started playing DF. It would be cool if Engravers had even a hidden preference for their civ's hist figs, or similar. I frequently get 'political' engravings in mine, the majority of the ones in Boldropes was 'Mel the Human Lasher striking down Jubutharbis the kobold in 558.' (he took up residence in the fort for about a year, then left with the next Human caravan.)

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 02:11:15 am »

With the improvements to the worlds history going on now, this would be a great way to access the content toady is creating that isn't immediately pertainant to fortress or adventure mode. The great advantage, I think, of having a procedurally generated world is the creation of unique stories on an unparallelled scale. Also, It could help give insight into the minds of dwarves without being intrusive to those aren't interested, and would be a boon to succession forts.

TheMrFlosch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:30:20 pm »

I really like that idea! When I think of Hall with engraved walls I always have the mental Image of epic grand scale depictions of wars or something like that (that is until I look at the engravings and learn noo... its a plump helmet, and next to it our legendary fish dissector...)
Expanding on the original suggestion (and aiming for my mental image) it would be cool if there could be "multi tile engravings" where the description of the whole engraving simply is displayed on all the tiles, yet shows more details/persons/creatures/whatever than a normal one tile engraving would. This would however make it neccesary for one Engraver to somehow prevent other engravers from messing up tiles he needs, or some kind of coordination between all engravers working on that engraving. My understanding of the game mechanics tells me the first one is not possible now. The second part isnt either, but it would make sense if that was a requirement, and it would make it one benefit a stoneworkers guild could provide.

However since the game will always be random I couldn't wait for my first multi-tile Cheesewheel or something, if this gets implemented XD