Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Preventing Tantrum Spirals  (Read 1387 times)

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing Tantrum Spirals
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 04:09:58 am »

My preferred method of tantrum spiral prevention is 3x3 stairs in the middle of the fortress, with the center tile of the stairs being only mined (not stair'd).
Statues in the middle of staircases can't be avoided, don't prevent movement, and increase happiness.
A legendary dining hall is also very useful. Gold tables, gold chairs some statues will go a long way towards stopping tantrums. Also, if the tantrum actually happens, idle dwarves will die, but busy ones will be mostly unharmed.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 11:37:15 am »

Whatever you do dont let the dwarves wander in surface areas with water if its getting close to winter. I once had 7 dwarves getting permakilled in frozen water when I was working with digging out my own lake.

Then spring came and suddenly there was a huge tantrum spiral because someone noticed thier corpses. About 50 dwarves started fighting in just one season, I had about 50 tables in my legendary dining room and they turned them all upside down until I had walled them in and built another dining room.

...but then the ghosts came. It was quite a fort. Unfortunately I couldnt get one dwarf to engrave anything about it, bastards kept engraving when they place became settled a.s.o.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 12:23:06 pm »

Magma.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 12:25:07 pm »

I once had 7 dwarves getting permakilled in frozen water
This sure is unusual.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 12:31:17 pm »

I once had 7 dwarves getting permakilled in frozen water
This sure is unusual.
Perhaps it killed the ghosts too?  More likely he meant "insta", but who am I to interpret?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 12:55:18 pm »

The secret to mud is repeated flooding.

eg, flood to 1/7 deep, close floodgate. Let dry. Flood to 1/7, close gate, let dry... again and again.

Each time the water floods in, the mud will get "thicker".  You want "a thick pile of mud" in the lawn, not "a light dusting of mud".  Thick mud grows shroom trees and cavern mosses more efficiently in my experience.

Wow, this is something new to me.  Just wondering, wierd, do you have any science to support your experience?

TBH, I'm looking around my fortress and I'm not sure I can see any difference in distribution of mushrooms/shrubs/fungus depending on whether it's cavern floor, sandy floor, dusting of mud or thicker mud, nor can I see any difference between them in how dense the fungus is where animals are grazing and differing  regen rates should be evident.
Pages: 1 [2]