Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coincidence Significance Arch / Naming Math  (Read 767 times)

arfa-folk

• Bay Watcher
  • Take it easy.
    • View Profile
Coincidence Significance Arch / Naming Math
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:54:33 am »

[edits: some of what I was suggesting was already part of the game...]

One of the things I love about DF is the way that randomly generated in-game occurrences are, to some extent, significant and purposeful.

For instance, I had a caged unicorn escape due to a problem transferring him from one cage to another and he went on a huge murder spree in my fortress.  Because he had been involved in so much murder the game gave him a name "Murder Satins."   I love how metal that name is -- perfect for a murdering Unicorn.  After he died, one of the dwarves in my fortress made an artifact out of his bones -- a unicorn bone floodgate. That's just beautiful stuff. 

My understanding from Trif (see below) is that words each have category markers and that certain types of events (like murdering people, or being a Unicorn) have flags associated with those categories so that they avoid completely some categories of words and are more prone to other categories.

I would like to see more of this.   I'm sure Toady, being a genius, has thrown in lots of this kind of stuff.  I'm just here to say I support it and appreciate it and would like to see lots more.

It would be neat to have the dwarfs treat significant places with special consideration -- pausing at a waterfall where they fell in love and maybe having a thought about that spot.  Mourning the dead, etc. etc.  I know there's a lot in this direction anyway in dev, but I guess what I'm saying is that weird coincidences, combined with the confirmation bias are such powerful forces in this game it would be neat to see Toady really concentrate on this angle for a while -- I bet he would come up with some pretty badass stuff.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:40:27 pm by arfa-folk »
If it's that easy, take it twice.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Coincidence Significance Arch / Naming Math
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:58:48 am »

interesting thought. i'll stick around to see it develop. ptw

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:18:43 pm »

The biggest problem is teaching the AI to know what makes sense. About the best I would hope for is being able to tell DF what symbols* are best-applicable to what kinds of names.

*Categories of words. Beauty, Nature, etc.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:39:04 pm »

I'm sorry, but the names are the dorfiest parts of DF. Take away that, and what do you have? An elf.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:30:31 pm »

I'm sorry, but the names are the dorfiest parts of DF. Take away that, and what do you have? An elf.
"Hello my name is Likod Punchface"
"I only have a first name, sorry"
"What is it?"
"Cacilitheiliomename"
*magma*
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:22:27 am »

Well, and the sandbox nature, sieges, megaprojects, infinite play until death, magma, madness, sieges, *spoilers*, feats of badassery, !!science!!, challenges...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

arfa-folk

• Bay Watcher
  • Take it easy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 12:20:52 pm »

So, my thinking was that it wouldn't take away the randomness of the names, just sort of guide it.  Maybe you could categorize types of words, like "beauty" "pretty" "bright" "cheerful" for instance. All of those words would have a flag for "niceness" or the like. 

Then you have certain events associated with historical objects, and those different types of events would themselves have flags, once such flag being "niceness."

For instance, you have a dwarf who works in a hospital. He could historically collect a lot of "niceness" flags.  When it comes time for the computer to name something he's grown attached to, it would add up all the flags he's collected.  That number would then be used as a modifier when the computer is randomly selecting a name. 

This system (or something like it but better) wouldn't result in vanilla names, just slightly more "significant" names.  That's my thought anyway.

They would still feel pretty durn dwarfy.

arfa-folk

• Bay Watcher
  • Take it easy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:27:49 pm »

I just added this as a suggestion on ESV if you want to vote for it.

NAME: "Improved Language / Naming Significance / other significance improvements"

DESCRIPTION: "Have DF guide the random naming of objects / dwarfs / fortresses by categorizing words and events. Example: "good" v "evil" A dwarf associated with lots of "evil" (like elf killing?) would nickname his favorite sword something more evil. Additionally, add more "memories" of dwarfs of significant places they've been / things they've experienced. They sometimes go out of their way to revisit those places, or if see them again incidentally they experience a thought, is one example."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 12:32:22 pm »

Sounds good.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 12:36:47 pm »

One botched generated world I had was named Thithareth. Amazing alliteration. Sounds most noble. I believe that meant The Universe of Portending, something ominous. What I noticed at least, was that Universe had a different word for it in other maps, like Uzath or such. A particularly isolated cave on an island in that world had a terribly claustrophobic name, literally something similar to Nozutngogngo.

arfa-folk

• Bay Watcher
  • Take it easy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »

One botched generated world I had was named Thithareth. Amazing alliteration. Sounds most noble. I believe that meant The Universe of Portending, something ominous. What I noticed at least, was that Universe had a different word for it in other maps, like Uzath or such. A particularly isolated cave on an island in that world had a terribly claustrophobic name, literally something similar to Nozutngogngo.

I didn't think about it for world gen.  Man, that would be awesome....

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 05:01:45 pm »

I'm surprised that nobody brought it up yet: names aren't completely random. DF sorts them into symbols and chooses a random word from a fitting symbol.
Symbols are things like ROMANTIC, MAGIC, HOLY, NATURE, COLOR or DEATH (look in language_SYM.txt for more). Words can fit in multiple categories - the word SWORD for example is sorted in VIOLENT and ARTIFICE.

Each intelligent civilization has their own preference for naming. Elves for example won't use the symbols DOMESTIC, SUBORDINATE, EVIL, NEGATIVE or UGLY. Goblins like using EVIL words, but won't use DOMESTIC, FLOWERY, HOLY, PEACE, NEGATOR or GOOD words.

I'm not completely sure how detailed the name generator gets, but the name "Murder Satins" for a rampaging unicorn wasn't a coincidence.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

arfa-folk

• Bay Watcher
  • Take it easy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 05:22:08 pm »

So basically thr game already does exactly what I had in mind

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 01:34:43 pm »

To an extent. I don't think there are any tags relating unicorns to nicer symbols yet, though.
Sig

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 01:49:05 pm »

This is as it should be.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur