Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Natural skills related to age  (Read 373 times)

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Natural skills related to age
« on: January 12, 2013, 03:08:32 pm »

Right now, creatures with any natural skill already have them all fully developed from day one - they don't grow with them, a fresh and inexperienced newborn is as skilled as an adult.

Wouldn't it make more sense that they gradually increased from zero (or, at least, much lower), until they are out of their "child" age, or reached physical maturity, or some other unrelated age?

That way, a 1000 year old dragon would be much more of a threat than a hatchling - right now, they're bigger, and that's it. Just easier targets for the infamous bolts o' death. I would also throw in a change in interactions - again, more powerful fire breath, but that's another story and likely more difficult code-wise.

What do you think?

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
Re: Natural skills related to age
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:28:37 pm »

Although I do agree, I think a 1000 year old dragon's claw attack is already significantly stronger than a hatchling's. The claw will be bigger. I mean, would it be more dangerous for you to be bit by a Chihuahua or a Rotweiler? The latter is bigger, so the teeth are bigger.

And more dangerous.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Natural skills related to age
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:34:22 pm »

Just having tags that can activate or deactivate at given ages would be helpful. Maybe [LASTTAG:STARTAGE:X:Y], where LASTTAG is also used for other things and X:Y is the age in years and days that the creature must be before having those tags. ENDAGE would also be useful.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.