Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trap doors and secret passages  (Read 854 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Trap doors and secret passages
« on: January 10, 2013, 05:11:08 pm »

Somewhat inspired by The Hobbit, I was thinking about hidden doors.  Basically, a door or hatch cover that was treated like a trap in most senses: invisible to enemies that haven't scouted it via ambassadors (as humans so) and aren't trap-avoiders.  Possibly able to be detected with observer skill, opposed by the skill of the architect, mason or mechanic responsible.  I would guess building one would take a door or hatch cover, a stone, log, or block (The material for a wall/floor that the construction appears to be), and possibly some other reagent like a mechanism.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trap doors and secret passages
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:55:56 pm »

Attach a drawbridge to a pressure plate. Have the pressure plate as something that the enemy steps on or something that a pitted vampire will run into when they look out past thier glass wall at your invader. Or attach it to a lever....
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Trap doors and secret passages
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:51:32 pm »

Glass walls are treated as opaque. Go with a fortification, backed by a window.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.