Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode sparring  (Read 1097 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Adventure mode sparring
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:07:23 pm »

I'd like to be able to increase my adventurer's skills without having to into life-threatening situations constantly.  The solution?  Sparring with either companions or soldiers in fortresses.  An option like, "would you like to spar" in the conversation screen, and then you would duel this person in single combat.  It would be like in fort mode, with no actual chance if injury, just "lightly tapping" with weapons.

Thoughts? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode sparring
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:08:24 pm »

Me actual gusta.
Maybe training dummies as well?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:11:47 pm »

Another suggestion of mine, I think people thought it would make the game too easy.  To be honest, this idea would probably do the same thing. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:12:30 pm »

Balance it out by having you and the companion actually get tired from mockfighting for hours?
Sig! Onol

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:25:39 am »

Doing stuff as an adventurer really ought to amplify metabolism requirements, because I did some minor science and I could easily walk around "Starving" on a thin character for over two weeks.
Funnily enough I couldn't hit anything, but how would that matter when you can easily get an inexhaustible source of food.

But on the topic of this, then yeah it could be interesting. Though training weapons would probably be rather important. (And it should probably make your metabolism crave fuel afterwards.)
And as for where those could come from, then well - why shouldn't ye olde unused-due-to-scarcity-of-metals weapon shoppes have training weapons for sale? :P
It'd give a purpose to at least spending a dime on anything.

oh_no

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 08:46:37 am »

Me actual gusta.
But we have these they are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:03:09 pm »

current implementation of sparring (lightly tapping) is pretty placeholder-ish, and I believe it was only introduced because dwarves failed to swap training weapons for combat ones quickly enough in case of emergency. Sparring should be like it was earlier I think: actual combat with the only difference being not marking your opponent as enemy. I believe chance of accidental wounds, fatique, random damage and sometimes opponents intentiaonally trying to harm you in a mock fight are all getting implemented at some point.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:24:14 pm »

Me actual gusta.
But we have these they are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'd advise normal sponges, they're less likely to kill.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:53:15 am »

Last time I found a giant sponge and hacked away at it, it gave me no experience - even while conscious.
For all that it sounds like, the best dummy enemy that might still push you to death would probably be a crippled bronze colossus that you hack away at with a shitty alternate weapon.

oh_no

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:00:53 am »

Last time I found a giant sponge and hacked away at it, it gave me no experience - even while conscious.
For all that it sounds like, the best dummy enemy that might still push you to death would probably be a crippled bronze colossus that you hack away at with a shitty alternate weapon.
YES.
I have an adventurer that has 50,000+ Fighter skill from doing that.
I'll update any day now. Aaaaany day now...
Sig! Onol