Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Housing?  (Read 2134 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Housing?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 09:38:56 pm »

My Dwarves each get a 3x3 room and at least a cabinet, bed, and door. If things go well enough for long enough sometimes a chair, table, and smoothed stone.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:44:30 pm »

My solution is: most dwarves get 2x2 rooms, carved into stone. The mayor gets a large constructed mansion. The baron/duke/whatever gets a huge set of carved rooms with artifacts. I spend years building the royal quarters. Just make the difference reasonable.

Kings do screw up my system though, since the baron's quarters hit royal pretty fast.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 10:17:34 pm »

My dwarves tend to get 1x3 or 2x2 rooms - bed and 1-2 cabinets (usually green glass).  Mayor and CotG get a small office suite on the admin level with a set of 2x3 or 3x3 rooms.  Baron gets larger quarters in a corner of the admin or DR level with larger rooms that can eventually hold all the furnishings that a Duke will require.  If I am building a large enough fortress to become the Mountainhome I start planning out the royal quarters at some point.

For handling room values the main variable I use is furniture.  Can use metal furnishings (cabinets, tables, etc.) for better value over stone.  And then a few metal statues can allow you to easily push some rooms higher than others.  I also like picking out a few tables and chairs and encrusting them with a wide variety of gems to make a few items with values close to low-end artifacts.  And of course, if your craftsmen start creating artifact furniture those are an easy way to make sure the king has the most valuable rooms.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 11:18:31 pm »

One trick I sometimes use, if a noble's room is not high enough value, is enlarge its size to include the peasants' rooms too. (If doors are in the way, you can set to internal.) That way, whatever they have, the mayor has too. :)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 11:49:04 pm »

One other thing that might be worth mentioning in regards to rooms is a small partially effective workaround to the problem of dwarves leaving clothes in their bedrooms forever.  Instead of placing cabinets in my dwarves' bedrooms, I just stick a table and chair in there for decoration and cover the floor in a refuse stockpile that is configured to not accept anything.

This way, despite the fact that they'll drop their clothes in there, most of it will rot away eventually instead of getting stuck in a cabinet forever.  Unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem when dwarves dump their crap on the bed, chest, table or chair, since that's not a stockpile square and they'll never move it once dropped there.  It helps combat the problem a bit though, for those who don't use DFHack to fix it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 01:41:10 am »

As a clumsy workaround, you can also forbid (preferably with d-b-f) everything in the room, then re-allow the furniture, wait about two in-game weeks and reclaim everything. Dwarves will relinquish property of forbidden items after a while, even if they're lying right in their rooms. The rags will then be properly hauled away. It takes an annoying amount of clicking around and causes massive hauling spikes but works mostly alright.

As far as nobles' room-related feelings go, the experiences several of you related suggest this is a recent change. Nobles really only seem to mind anymore if the 'lesser' dwarf's room is actually rated above their own. And even then, nobles are very unlikely to go into tantrum range if they have enough reason to be happy.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 02:29:37 am »

You could give every dwarf his own dining room, bedroom, and living space. But its a hella lotta work.

I do try to make my housing projects more than just giant cell blocks.

For instance my most recent fort where all the rooms surround a large channeled area and have windows... or I'm on the way to giving them all windows. I haven't played it in a few days after a tragic fun incident.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11549-icedangled

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 07:11:46 am »

You could give every dwarf his own dining room, bedroom, and living space. But its a hella lotta work.
It's kind of a megaproject on its own.

DethBrand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 12:06:05 pm »

I kinda worded my post poorly. What I meant by Working Class dwarf were those who use workshops, tho I will give my haulers larger rooms as well but I wouldn't call it a house.
From my starting dwarves my Expedition Leader, Mason/Stonecrafter, Carpenter/Woodcrafter, Mechanic/Metal Smith all got 2 floor houses. The bottom floor being 7x7+1 for stockpiles and private workshops. The expedition leader getting a large office because I normally make him my starting manager & book keeper. The upper floor also a 7x7+1 room, but with walls left inside to divide the rooms. Each getting a table, 2 chairs, a bed, a cabinet & 2 coffers. My Hunter who I gave Bonecarving to got a 2 floor 5x5+1 house. My Grower/Cook/Brewer got a 3 floor 7x7+1 house so I could put a farm plot in his basement. I didn't plan them ahead for mine carts, but I did for burrows. All the houses also have 1 tile stock piles for prepared meals, and 1 for booze that will get deliveries from haulers.. I just wish I could keep other dwarves from wandering in to eat & drink them. >.< I wanted to try to keep all of my working class in their houses as much as possible when I needed them working, when I didn't I'd let them out to enjoy the dining hall or statue gardens.

I'm to noob to do much more right now, I wasn't expecting so many dwarves to flood my fortress so quickly! I'm still trying to figure out ways to keep them busy. -.-
Even tho my dwarves are all happy in spite of still living in dorms I'm not happy seeing so many drunks crammed in a room passed out on top of each other drooling everywhere. =/
Pages: 1 [2]