Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World saves - file name  (Read 749 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World saves - file name
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:11:41 pm »

Like many I gen multiple worlds in search of an embark site. I save worlds if I think they may be of interest and rename them with the possible embark location. Then with my two copies I embark in one. The problem comes when I begin making more worlds after a fruitless session of world generation, I tend to lose track of which ones are which, being that they are all named regionX. Then the ones I have selected and renamed are replaced by regionX (and hell if I remember which ones I selected).
Currently I keep a .txt open and just jot down stuff to keep track, it's a kinda inconvenient.

Would anyone else be for or opposed to having folders saved by their translated world names? I mean its a quick fix for Toady to change what new worlds are saved under.

With that you would know which folder contains which world. If you move folders around you know that the World of Amazing is not the World of Imagination. Anyways small suggestion I feel would be a nice change.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World saves - file name
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 05:18:45 pm »

You can already rename the world save folders without any problems ;)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:00:00 pm »

The problem is, the generated world name would probably be harder to remember than a number.

That said, it would probably be possible to make it an init option, and shouldn't be too hard (compared to some suggestions floating around...)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:02:03 pm »

Isn't the world name already listed to the right along with the year the world is in?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »

Not what he's talking about. He's worried about losing track of which of his generated-in-succession worlds is the one with the great site.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 10:24:22 pm »

Well then in that case like the idea

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 09:35:23 pm »

You can just rename folder in your chosen file system and it will show up in-game.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:46:10 pm »

As an example of what I do, when I generated my current fortress and adventurer gameworlds (same one, copied prior to either embark, so as to be used concurrently/independently for each game mode) I made one "region1.fort" and the other "region1.adv".

It's still "region1" for both.  And this more or less comes from when I've had a worldgen I've felt happy copying into a newer version of DF I might have ensured that the "regionN" from the original game is now "regionN.legacy" to avoid inadvertent clashes (renaming any imagedumps/etc likewise).  And I've sometimes saved (one level deeper, in a "_region1" folder within which I can save maps[1]) a copy of "region1" as "region1.raw", which I've been known to re-copy back up to replace the "region1" that I've totally messed up on embarking.

The "_region1" folder, itself, arose from being a handy place to hide the copious Seasonal Backup files that get created.  Whether or not I ever plan on rewinding time, I like the security of having them around but after a few years they clutter up the loading menu.  And I sometimes think I have a pathological fear of deleting data, so a quick drag of anything older than 2-4 seasons prior to the last seasonal is therapeutic without causing injuries to my psyche.  The underscore is just what I use to make it obviously different.  Calling the folder "region1.backups" or similar would be as obvious, but just not my way of doing it...

I could just as easily change the "region1" bit, as well, to something meaningful.  Unless I've deliberately gone for a particular fortress name (or taken the random one at face value, for some reason) I'm probably not likely to consider the "English" translation meaningful at all, but horses for courses I suppose...  But (for OP) having "waterfall" or "volcano" or "ZOMBIES" as a new name for any given "regionN" (with or without further prefixes/suffixes, as required) wouldn't be too much of an effort.

Although I tend to do renames, if at all, while DF is not loaded or is at least back at the main menu screen.  As a caveat for OP's suggestion might I suggest that there be a "save manager" option at the loading screen (at least!) that lets you do the renaming of "region1" without needing to use the Windows/whatever file manager?

Maybe it would be a sop towards excessive save-scumming if it allowed (with appropriately coded safety interlocks to ensure a 'clean' copy, and possibly keeping synchrony with the "<foo>-Aut-1053"-like autosave folders?) one to rename/copy/copy-into-nonstandard-locales a game while even running, of course, but definitely I would make minor, but significant, use of a load/start-game menu save-folder manager.

[1] Like the ones I edit to keep track of quests both informed about and complete; and the little text file full of useful notes about the world, etc...