Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The thread where we ask ifthen questions  (Read 1571 times)

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The thread where we ask ifthen questions
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 02:26:27 pm »

If you take 1/7 magma from the top layer of a volcano then how many ticks until that floating 6/7 fills up?
Ok, so I'm into my second sixpack but... I think it'll only fill up if it's in a tile adjacent to a wall tile that at that time is spawning magma. Let's call those tiles A. At any given moment it will be on one tile of the volcano of a fixed area V. The probability of the 6/7 tile being in an adjacent tile A should be A/V. So if the probability of a wall tile spawning magma is P the probability of it being filled at any given time should be P * A/V and the number of ticks its inverse.

Tell me more

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 05:26:13 am »

If people fail to get the idea behind the thread, Then how to politely inform them?
If this isn't actually for questions or talking about DF, Then shouldn't it be in general discussion or somewhere else than here?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 02:48:23 pm »

I think its pretty apparent that this thread was supposed to be about people asking general questions about dwarf fortress and then waiting for answers. Possibly only in fort mode. As such I would like to get the thread back on track.

When I channel out an area and I dont want my dwarves to step into it when they continue thier channeling orders right next to it, how do I do? Making the whole layer restricted apparently does not work.

I lost several miners to this when they channeled out an aquifier, stepped down, water poured out and it instantly froze them to death.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 03:01:23 pm »

From what I have seen, it looks to me like all of the tiles in the volcano are marked as "volcanic" in some sense.  If you pour water in and turn one of the tiles to obsidian it loses that mark and won't refill anymore.

If a tile is "volcanic" and the space below it is filled to 7/7 with magma, then there is a small random chance that the upper tile will get set to 7/7 magma.

When a z-level is emptied, I see the occasional blurp of 7/7 appear and then spread around.  Once the level is nearly full, it takes a while to get the last (rapidly moving) 6/7 set to 7/7.
If there is a higher z-level, then those last 6/7s are quickly filled in by spreading 7/7s spawned on the level above.

My volcano observations are from a while back, so YMMV.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 12:48:10 pm »

I think its pretty apparent that this thread was supposed to be about people asking general questions about dwarf fortress and then waiting for answers. Possibly only in fort mode. As such I would like to get the thread back on track.

When I channel out an area and I dont want my dwarves to step into it when they continue thier channeling orders right next to it, how do I do? Making the whole layer restricted apparently does not work.

I lost several miners to this when they channeled out an aquifier, stepped down, water poured out and it instantly froze them to death.

I know your frustrations but I really don't have a good suggestion except don't designate rectangles, try designating lines

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 01:15:38 pm »

Don't we have a sub forum and a thread within that sub forum for exactly that?
Pages: 1 [2]