Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: mass effect vs 1 vs 2 vs 3  (Read 9026 times)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: mass effect vs 1 vs 2 vs 3
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2012, 12:29:31 pm »

ME1 is the best, played it through 7 times, love playing on the hardest difficulty :P
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2012, 02:09:00 pm »

Looking around in the wiki I can't even find what it is that reactivated the reapers in the first place.  I'm suspecting that the reason is probably a change in the writing team.

"To all things there is a time, Mr. Endawi. Perhaps this is theirs." - G'kar on Babylon 5, speaking about the return of another ancient nemesis.

The million times that Shepherd says that Saren intends to wake the reapers?

Shephard isn't omniscient. If he says that the reapers are still asleep in ME1, well, he is just guessing and the only knowledge he has to go on is what was in the prothean beacon - and he probably hasn't learned everything that he learns through the entire game about the Reapers' goals yet, such as what Sovereign is actually doing (find conduit, open the citadel mass relay to reapers in deep space).

Consider this: They have to have been awake in ME1, because
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2012, 03:22:21 pm »

Agreed with Shadowlord. The only explanation that makes sense, even in context of 1, is that the reapers were already operational and waiting for the go signal, that had stalled because of the whole thing Vigil tells you.

"Bringing back" is not "waking up."

I'm by no means saying the plot doesn't have inconsistencies... but this isn't one, the whole thing was established by plot elements from the start of the first game.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2012, 07:18:09 pm »

While Shepherd isn't omniscient it would have made sense for knew knowledge to be acknowledged at some point.  Shepherd would say "this is even worse then I thought!" as dramatic music plays when he finds out the reapers have woken.

And the reapers choosing to awake without a go signal from Sovereign just strikes me as an asspull.  They've been waiting for 70,182 years when Sovereign bites the big one in ME1.  Why would Sovereign go to effort to wake them up after 70,182 years if they were already planning to wake up after 70,185 years?  If he had been contacting them all along then the events of ME1 are pointless, why would he go to the citadel and tip off the galaxy if he's already got backup coming?  If he hasn't been contacting them all along then they just out of the blue decide to show up?

And this is after all the lore of the Protheans speaks of the reapers being patient and sneaky and taking decades to do their work.

It's perfectly plausible to come up with a universe where the events of ME2 and ME3 make sense.  Unfortunately it's clearly not the story explained by the ME1 cannon...  And it's possible to imagine they should have been awake all along but again, that's not what we are told in ME1...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2012, 07:57:35 pm »

What?

The whole plot of ME1 is that

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All that comes straight from Vigil and the last mission.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]