Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Civ 4 or Civ 5?  (Read 11824 times)

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
Re: Civ 4 or Civ 5?
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2013, 07:43:48 pm »

4 is better than five. i feel
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 01:39:12 pm »

Why do you feel 4 is better though? Just curious.

I love "Civilization" because it provides a macro view of things. It might be interesting to see something along the lines of more city interaction from the next branch of civ games. I'm not entirely sure how that'd work, but it could be an interesting mechanic area for them to expand into.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 01:42:41 pm »

Why do you feel 4 is better though? Just curious.

I love "Civilization" because it provides a macro view of things. It might be interesting to see something along the lines of more city interaction from the next branch of civ games. I'm not entirely sure how that'd work, but it could be an interesting mechanic area for them to expand into.

I take your request and present you the Emigration mod
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 01:47:00 pm »

*Gets urge to reinstall Civ4*

That looks awesome. Do any major mods implement this or is it just stand-alone?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2013, 05:48:13 pm »

Combat in 5 is vastly better with the removal of the insane randomness (firaxis signature rng) and the addition of the layer of strategy through positioning. Sadly the AI is, last I played, is completely incapable of playing strategically like that so the combat doesn't really work. They might have improved upon that in the meantime ofcourse.

As an empire builder 4 is simply better then 5, and the empire building is where the real strategy is at since it has no cheesy randomized elements. I don't know if there's any good mods out there to improve the empire builder part of 5 though since it's been half a year since I played.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2013, 01:21:01 am »

I've been playing a lot of Civ 5 Gods & Kings lately. Here's how I'd compare 4 and 5.

Civ 5 has a more interesting opening game I think. You have more options: vertical development with Tradition, the usual REXing with Liberty, killing things with Honor, or you can mix & match. Depending on huts and barbarians you may get an early pantheon or an early city-state relationship which can change things. In Civ 4, you pretty much have to rush to connect strategic resources before the barbarians/ neighbors get to your gates, then either sack one of your neighbors (probably) or REX and put up a good wonder or two. Only after that do options open up for you.

Civ 5 has the worst closing game of any Civ I've played and it's been a perennial problem with the series. You get locked into chasing a particular victory condition early on if not instantly, and, since the game runs slower, there's a lot of clicking end turn towards the end of a game. Gods & Kings helps that a bit with the intrigue complicating formerly super-boring diplomatic victories and some other stuff, but it still gets to be a slog. Civ 4 BTS on the other hand has the most interesting endgame of any Civ except maybe Alpha Centauri - AIs can take stabs at you, or their own victories, that can actually surprise you.

Diplomacy in Civ 5 is crap and Gods & Kings only helps it some. Civ 4 diplomacy isn't the best, but at least it feels like diplomacy. "Declarations of Friendship" :P

Battles: Civ 5 unit-per-hex battles are interesting, if goofily unrealistic at the scale at which they are presented. At the Civ scale, doomstacks actually seem to make a bit more sense, at least until they get really absurd. But, more importantly, Civ 4 can handle doomstacks and Civ 5 can't handle hex combat. If I want to routinely destroy the AI at bad odds, that's what Total War games are for :D

Gods and Kings does make fighting better, though: at least you can't murder an AI's entire land army with triremes.

Civ 4 does a better job of feeling like a grand-scale game, somehow. Partially it's because you're moving around more units. Partially it's because you don't have quests from NPCs I mean city-states. Partially it's because Civ 4 has wonder movies and endgame movies and Civ 5 just has the stills.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2013, 10:52:31 am »

*Gets urge to reinstall Civ4* - I think you meant Civ 5

That looks awesome. Do any major mods implement this or is it just stand-alone?

Stopped watching the thread for a while :P

Standalone, although I guess it will work with anything that's not a total overhaul (not that there are many MAJOR major mods except NIGHTS and Call To Power)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2013, 09:02:55 pm »

Yeah, I will say that Civ 5 diplomacy needs some work. Honestly I always get denounced merely from growing or researching too far ahead. Heaven forbid you actually chose the military route (which some game civs are built specifically for) and take out a computer or two. The rest will immediately denounce me for some reason. Not entirely sure why, especially when I take out their enemies.... I never quite got how the enemy of my enemy wasn't my friend in that game. I'd have a computer ask me to join a war against another computer, only to hate me when I took out that other computer on my own. Bad party manners by not giving them an invite or doing the RSVP?

Other than that, the placements of certain features just seems somewhat out of whack in civ 5. I don't understand why a desert tile and a tundra tile are right next to one another. Same thing with a desert being next to a marsh (especially that).

I actually don't mind having to spread my army out too much right now though. It sorta makes some sense, though the combat system has changed drastically in civ 5. You basically want a front line of tough melee units followed by a back line of archer or other ranged attack units. Surround a city on as close to all six sides as possible, then pile on ranged attackers behind those melee units. It kinda makes more sense in a way to reward surrounding a city before you take it over (as opposed to the stack of doom from one direction). In addition to the space limitations, this is also encouraged by taking the honor policy tree and getting the one where you get a 15% bonus when units are adjacent. Granted, it's a pain in the butt to walk all the way around a city's radius (so as not to get picked off by ranged fire from the city itself), but it gives the feel of tightening a noose around the computer's throat when invading.

Defense is similarly situated. You can use the city's ranged attack to some effect, especially against stupidly isolated units. Against larger groups, and detachments specifically designed to surround and take out cities, you are now talking about clashes of armies. If at all possible, you wanna get behind them/take out their ranged support first and or flank them. This is "of course" against a hypothetical intelligent component. The computer can't seem to figure out the idea of basically just forming rows and columns, or basically getting into position with mobile units (mounted).

Civ 5 has a ton of potential. It could easily revolutionize the way the combat system works, if it had a better AI. I wanna sit the computer down in front of the History Channel and make it watch a documentary about Alexander the Great and his tactics :P. While we're at it, I want the History Channel to start running documentaries again.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:06:15 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]