Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does the world live?  (Read 690 times)

TacKY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does the world live?
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:14:38 pm »

As in does the world, after the initial generation of it at teh start of a game, actually go on while Im twiddling away at my fort? Are there still historical figures dying, and are there people fighting and dying? Stuff like that.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Does the world live?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:16:04 pm »

Nope, thats what is being worked on right now.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TacKY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:20:27 pm »

Alright, cool. Then what dictates that a beast comes to wreck your shit, or what determines if a goblin siege happens? Is it all random? I've heard that you can get into a war with a civilization though...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 09:22:31 pm »

Alright, cool. Then what dictates that a beast comes to wreck your shit, or what determines if a goblin siege happens? Is it all random? I've heard that you can get into a war with a civilization though...
It isn't random, it draws from existing civilizations, populations and historical figures. This can get rather extreme, as shown by Aussieguy's checkerboard Fort Swordthunders, where he drove his entire civilization to extinction with the amount of migrant casualties.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 12:31:39 pm »

And since the world doesn't go on outside your fortress, the current version has interesting possibilities if you manage to hang on for a while. The most entertaining of which is, it is possible to have migrants, and other visitors, die of old age as soon as they arrive on your screen.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"