Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pit trap  (Read 697 times)

rainpeltstar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:geniosity]
    • View Profile
Pit trap
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:22:06 pm »

I'm trying to make a pit trap for a certain dwarf, but I'm not exactly sure how. I'm digging a channel at the moment, but I don't want the miner dwarves to accidentally get themselves stuck there. Also, how do I actually drop him?
Loves lapis lazuli, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cheese puffs. She absolutely detests heights.

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pit trap
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:56:49 pm »

First you dig a room or something then from above you dig channels in and build a bridge over top. Put your dwarf on the bridge and pull the lever. To get the dwarf on the bridge assign it as a burrow and tell him to go there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:06:18 pm »

I hate channeling because 12 times out of 10 I will cause I cave in.  So I always build my death pits upwards.  Constructed up/down stairs upwards from the surface to the sky.  Then a bridge at the top for "advanced child training".  Then a constructed floor with hatches for pitting prisoners next to it.

With the new physics I have to add upright spear traps at the bottom to ensure fatality.  These days 10z falls just make dwarfs bounce instead of splat.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:23:32 am »

I hate channeling because 12 times out of 10 I will cause I cave in.  So I always build my death pits upwards.  Constructed up/down stairs upwards from the surface to the sky.  Then a bridge at the top for "advanced child training".  Then a constructed floor with hatches for pitting prisoners next to it.

With the new physics I have to add upright spear traps at the bottom to ensure fatality.  These days 10z falls just make dwarfs bounce instead of splat.

you could always just drop them again :)

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:15:23 am »

Or make a 20z trap? OR  a moat at the btm to drown them.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 02:35:57 am »

I find the new physics most suitably dwarven.

Sure, a 10 z level fall makes a goblin bounce. But a dwarf breaks his neck (or better, both legs) from 1 z-level. Fml.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread