Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are there any mods for editing dwarf attributes?  (Read 610 times)

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are there any mods for editing dwarf attributes?
« on: December 23, 2012, 08:47:54 am »

Is there any way to edit the details of a specific dwarf? Specifically, I'd like to edit a dwarf's gender, relationship status, and likes/dislikes.

I saw from the Elven King thread that I might be able to use Dwarf Companion, but it doesn't appear to have the features I'm looking for.

Is this sort of thing feasible?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any mods for editing dwarf attributes?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:00:13 am »

Would fall under the realm of memory hacking, something that is personally out of my realm of knowledge. I do know that, since these bits are stored as data somewhere in the game, likely as unit files, it would be possible with an external tool written for this purpose, but I have no idea how that would actually be accomplished.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:29:20 am »

I'll keep looking then. I might also break out a hex editor and see what I can break.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 09:41:06 am »

ive had a lot of success using cheat engine.  also dwarf therapist has all the memory layouts. ive been able to use splinterz dt mem layouts to find exactly where i need to change to f shiz up ;)

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:12:23 pm »

Cheat Engine? Really? I thought since the size of the game was so large it would be impossible to get values out of that game :S
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:31:27 pm »

Last I checked relationship stuff didn't have a tool in DFHack or any other utility, but I managed to figure it out using a memory editor.  I was able to make any two dwarves lovers or married, and no gender didn't matter.  I didn't test age or what happens if two women were married (may well have babies).

If you're interested I posted a tutorial on how to do most of the work needed to hack this stuff in .34.07 (which shouldn't have changed for .34.11).  That thread is missing the details on how to find the vtable pointers to change relationship types, but I think it contains enough information to allow you to figure out how to do it.  Be warned, it's pretty involved and is likely to crash the game horribly, but I've done it maybe a dozen times successfully.

Relationships Utility.

Attributes are much, much easier to edit.  Back in .31.25 this was trivial since you could look up the numbers with Runesmith then just search for the values inside the creature vector, but now it's not so easy since I don't think Runesmith was ever updated for .34.x
Through pain, I find wisdom.