Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with armor  (Read 631 times)

Egil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with armor
« on: December 21, 2012, 05:45:08 pm »

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find an explanation on the wiki or with a search here on the forum.
So, I startet a new fort a few days ago, and now I got my military up and running. Thing is, my two squads of close combat dwarfs refuse to equip certain pieces of armor. They will equip their designated weapons, a shield, breastplate and greaves, but not helmets, gauntlets or boots.
I am sure I have enough of said pieces of armor made and available, and all soldiers use the standard metal armor template, I've never had this problem before and I don't think I'm doing anything diffrently this time around. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong, or if this is a common bug?

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with armor
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:20:44 pm »

The standard armor templates start with "Over Clothing" as the default option. They won't wear the helmets and boots because both are [SHAPED] and can't be worn over shaped clothing (in this case, likely cloth caps and shoes) and they won't equip the gauntlets, I presume, because they are already wearing both gloves and mittens and can't fit a third piece over them. This wiki page has more detailed information, if what I've said doesn't help, but I'm 95% sure that I've given you the correct answer.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Egil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:54:08 pm »

Yeah, you were 100% correct. Thanks for the help  :)

Egil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:02:19 am »

Okay, followup question, is there any good way to get all the military dwaves to drop the unwanted items and equip what I want them to equip?

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 10:15:34 am »

Make an empty uniform and select instead of clothing.
Granted, it only worked for half of my guys(they still put on their stuff in the wrong order), so I advice making 3 uniforums for every layer, under normal,over and switching between them after the previous one is done. I havent tested that out yet though.