Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adman's Race and Material's Mod  (Read 3521 times)

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adman's Race and Material's Mod
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 04:36:27 pm »

I'd make the spider-folk a bit more anthropomorphic. At least drider-like. (Drivers are D&D monsters that are pretty much half-drow, half-spider, a la centaur.)

Agreed, I plan on doing more work with them in the future- Right now spider folk don't serve any particular purpose, they are just sorta there. I would like them to be able to hold tools and weapons and do the useful things you would expect a civilization to do.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »

Aw... I was hoping for the overly happy and friendly high pitched voiced spiders from Anvernum/Exile series (holy I can't spell)

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 12:28:39 am »

My first thought on spider folk was to just have them be big talking spiders. This was inspired by the bizarre event a friend experienced when the humans sent a giant cave spider diplomat to visit him for reasons neither of us understand to this day.

In practice tho, they don't seem terribly useful and don't seem to really 'fit' into their world. So they've been retooled as the antithesis of the Dragonkin. Dragonkin are the 'bad guys' big horrible monster civ. Spider folk are now fill the same role for the 'good guys'. In testing, some moderately equipped/skilled spider folk are making short work of megabeasts - they are truely frightening monsters.

I don't want to make them be actual tauric, 'human-above-the-waist' abominations - they have however been given cute little 3-fingered hands with which to hold their tools and implements of destruction.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 12:36:46 am »

Just uploaded new version.

Changes:

*Spider folk have been given hands and now hold weapons and tools and are generally more useful.

*Added new mega-beasts (3 new types of hydra).

*Drugar now correctly renamed Duergar.

*Also added some new graphics and tweaked a few that weren't behaving correctly.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 06:53:02 am »

Soooo Hill Dwarves.
They are working. They embark with above ground food and they like being outdoors, just as planned, but they just don't feel different enough from regular dwarves. I feel almost like I'm playing a cheater version of dwarves, there are no drawbacks for what has been added-
And it's not unexpected but the emissary still jabbers on about the mountain home, not sure if there is a way to fix that.
One work around I tried was changing the entity in the raws from MOUNTAIN to PLAINS, seemed like it could work, right? This however had the bizarre side effect of changing the dwarves into humans. In every way human - it was very strange.
This got me thinking, much as i like hill dwarves and seeing their cities popup on the map they just really arn't different enough from normal dwaves to make it worth them being a second playable race.
Humans on the otherhand, I see alot of potential for them. Lots. I think the next thing I will work on is purposely making humans a playable race and making the hill dwaves adventure mode only.
One thing that comes to mind for hill dwarves is having their industries take off in a different direction than dwarves. Mountain dwarves are focused on metals, gems, and stone underground. Hill dwarves live aboveground; perhaps they're more pastoralists, and/or crafters of wood and clay. Also, there's a method that sorta reverses cave adaptation; ask someone who comprehends it what it is and use it. This encourages aboveground building, as would reducing skill learn rates on mining and especially masonry and stonecrafting. In exchange, increase learn rates on carpentry, pottery, and perhaps woodcrafting/burning. Add some reactions that allow them to:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Finally, remove their ability to use subterranean stuff. Why do surface dwarves still grow plump helmets as a staple crop?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 01:18:11 am »

I do want to come back to hill dwarves to do more to distinguish them from regular dwarves, my efforts lately however have been concentrated on the Duergar who I am quickly falling in love with.

Reasons to love them:
  They don't seem to have a concept of crime (no need for a jail!)
  Lots of FUN visits from their neighbors (Elf ambushes ahoy!)
  They butcher their slain enemies (enjoy your stock piles of prepared elf intestines!)
  Purple Skin!

Also I put up a new version more Duergar sprites and with a few fixes. No more Web-Machine-Guns for Spider Folk, turned the cool down up from a measly 20 to a whopping 350.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 01:25:35 am »

Thought I'd leave this here for you

Reverse Cave Adapt (requires the creature to have [CAVE_ADAPT])
Spoiler: Interaction (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Creature Use (click to show/hide)

The AI will activate it instantly, It also gets worse every month spent underground. And 1 year is the worse.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 01:41:16 am »

Made some updates, uploaded a new version, mostly untested but everything seems working and stable so far, added 3 new civs and made a few tweaks.

acaerofox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 04:03:41 am »

That last change to the entities had the very interesting effect of bringing me multiple caravans ~ http://imgur.com/wtX8P

I think I like it.
Pages: 1 [2]