Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Happiness during a tantrum spiral  (Read 1010 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Happiness during a tantrum spiral
« on: December 17, 2012, 03:05:01 am »

I've noticed during my fort's current tantrum spiral that some dwarves are still ecstatic or happy.

Dwarf therapist shows me that personality traits are not a good predictor of if a dwarf will be happy or not during a tantrum spiral (results are all over the map). However, migration wave is a very good predictor of happiness. The dwarves who recently arrived don't have many friends, so they aren't bothered much by all the death and chaos. The longer they have been at the fort, the more miserable they are.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Happiness during a tantrum spiral
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:55:39 am »

That's true. I've tried a few methods to keep interdwarf contact low (burrows, locked doors and stockpiles: one dwarf drops an item, another picks it up afterwards) to minimise the chance of friendship, but as the population explodes it becomes impossible. By the time there's reason for a tantrum spiral everything tends to be unmanageably chaotic already, with rampant love and friendship springing up all over the fort, dooming us all.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:21:11 am »

For me it's the opposite. The first Dwarves don't care about anything anymore, and the new guys haven't got used to the blood rain and the constant attacks by undead.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 05:30:07 am »

Me, its military vs civilians.... Barring my temp militia. Constant rain, undead and drills without talking to friends l, children siblings does that to you. The sad thing is, waterfalls and gold room don't seem to work too well in fending off the undead/patrol hit.  Worst for my bare recruits......

Any ideas on how to improve their more before the inevitable witness death cause a spiral?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 08:08:53 am »

My military don't seem to be accruing any trauma despite being attacked by the dead a lot and killing enough of them to get titles. I wish they'd toughen up a bit. :/

Usually when they get particularly pissed off after dispatching a batch of undead, I give them some time off to go and do some civilian work and eat in the dining room or organise a meeting with the expedition leader, who's good enough socially to make dwarves feel better after said meeting.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 10:10:45 am »

In the end, there were only 12 survivors of the original ~107 dwarf fort, and most of them were the dwarves who made artifacts. During the fall, everyone was eventually miserable, but the artifact dwarves didn't seem to act on it. I believe Quietust mentioned this benefit of strange moods in one of the wiki updates. Therefore these guys make excellent justice system members.

All of my military and miners died in the tantrum spiral. The food and booze reserves are sufficient to last the current batch of survivors for years. The fort has a wierd "living in the ruins" and "post-scarcity" feel to it.

About half of all the furniture is toppled or missing. Some of the furniture has various levels of XwearX.