Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken down broker?  (Read 585 times)

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Broken down broker?
« on: January 07, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

A few seasons back I'd started training one of my haulers to be a broker - when the caravan arrives I turn off his hauling tasks.  He met with the elves and the humans just fine.  But when the dwarven caravan arrived he wouldn't meet with them.  He would just stand in the middle of the fortress with "No Job".  I tried toggling the trader request and drafting/undrafting him and he is still stuck jobless.  I was finally forced to switch back to my original leader/broker to trade.  Turning on multiple hauling jobs doesn't work - he just stands there.  He will eat/drink and when I turned on all tasks he started hunting, but he seems to have taken a lesson from his pet cat - he cares little for what jobs I desire him to do.

In case it matters:  mood is ecstatic.  admired statue, container, table, slept in good bed, dined in great dining room, satisfied at work.  complained about the draft, thirst, hunger, and was unable to find someone to complain to about job scarcity.  

Perhaps he was interrupted while trying to talk to the mayor and never reset?  Is this a known bug or is there some other way to reset him?  I'm annoyed at having to train another broker, but I guess it truly isn't that much of a loss.

You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broken down broker?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:14:00 am »

Everyone has trouble getting their broker to the depot.
I've observed in my games that the broker doesn't go to the depot until every haul-to-depot job is completed, but that may just have been coincidence as often as the broker dawdles when requested at the depot.

Edit: I've also found that the fewer jobs overall you have the more likely the broker will go to the depot (and the more likely the haul-to-depot jobs will be selected and carried out.)  The game works better in general when you keep your long-term plans out of the queues and keep your orders short, but especially when you're trying to trade.

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: Forumsdwarf ]

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »

Mmm, I had a similar thing in one of my previous games. Broker had no job, refused to go to the depot. That time I also had 'bring to depot' jobs left uncompleted, so that might be the reason why, although it would seem to be rather silly.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

Right - I had a similar issue with the broker insisting on helping to haul stuff to the depot instead of going to trade.  I'd recently had two invasions so I had a lot of large/narrow clothing lying around that needed to be hauled in.  Easy enough to work around - cancel pending transfers until the broker has the initial meeting.  After doing that he met with the humans (and got a huge boost to appraiser skill for looking at their stock).  When the dwarves came I disabled all jobs  and he just hung around with "no job" for minutes at a time.  Occasionally he'd "store owned item" but that was it - he'd return to a spot in the main hall - near the dormitory tower and mayor's office (but not in meeting range of the office).  

I may have some sort of save file corruption - now my legendary armorer is refusing to work at the anvil where he created 50 complete sets of plate over the past few years.  He would also stand around with "no job".  I wound up having to build a second magma forge adjacent to the first to get him back to work.  Curiously the forge was usable by others without difficulty - including my crossbow smith.

So remember - 6x5 rooms (with a long magma channel underneath) are your friend - you can put a 3x3 workshop at one end and have room for a small stockpile at the other for bars or rejects to melt.  And if you need more capacity, just remove the stockpile and put a second workshop there - you will still have room to get around.

You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!