Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: Arena V: continuing where Arena IV left off  (Read 8731 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arena V: continuing where Arena IV left off
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:50 pm »

It'll be a lot easier than starting from scratch.
My team will also keep participating.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 13, 2012, 05:20:18 pm »

I've already described the basic mechanics to Tophat via PM, but I'll do so again here:

-Rule #1: Common sense. Whoever gets hit with a mace of a 20-foot monster without some incredibly good armor, gets seriously hurt. Also, animals tend not to survive lightning strikes, things like that.
-DF logic whereever possible. Death comes from bleeding out, damage of vital organs, decapitation, dismemberment, etc. Adamantine is epic, catching on fire is dangerous, but dragons are immune to it, shields block projectiles well, etc. All of you know these.
-I use random.org for the "rolls" on 1-10 scale. I roll an attack and a defense roll for every character, 10 is a critical hit, 1 is a critical fail, the outcome depends on both of the rolls. A hit of 10 with a defense roll of 1 could be a decapitation, a relatively successful defense roll of 5 might just lead to a broken arm.
-Ranged fighters go first (mages, rangers), then the melee ones. Most animals are quicker than humanoids, by the rule of common sense: A wolf definitely sprints faster than any human could, but a cave croc doesn't. Some of the creatures (like ogres) are really slow, and ranger fighters might get in two hits with good rolls. Depends on the situation.
-I used some elemental alignments for some of the creatures, tried to make sense: metal armor doesn't protect well from heat, animal fur catches on fire, dragons are vulnerable to water magic, etc.
-Same goes for inherent strenghts and weaknesses. Warriors suck against fliers, and vulnerable to projectiles without a shield, mages are of course glass cannons, and die easily, rouges are great at a distance, but weak up close, armor is good against arrows, but not good against magic, etc. Again, logic.
-There was never an exact 'HP' or 'damage' system, kind of like what DF shows to a player: there are injuries, consequences of injuries, and after enough punishment, a combatant dies, that's it.

There is definitely room for improvement about this half-baked 'system', as it's still not very objective: sure, the rolls determine roughly what succeeds and fails, but I still got to decide how much of a failure it was. I tried to be fair, but this might have distorted some of the fights in favor of the player's teams. A strict system might have been better, but honestly, that would've been just too much work for me, writing updates took long enough as they were.

You can continue with my method if you want, or think of something different, I only have two requests:
-If you change things, do so in a way that the current characters can remain (maybe balance them is needed), a restart is not cool.
-Since there are two of you, whatever you do, please do the same. It wouldn't be fair if you could realisitcally take on an ogre chieftain on wednesday, and the same thing would completely butcher you on the weekend, because the two GMs use different systems or stats.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 14, 2012, 07:32:15 am »

Spoiler: My fights (click to show/hide)
4800 gold, Ishar is dead, it takes 150 gold to revive him (he got three critical fails)

3600 gold. Firehawk got a bit unlucky, but not much.

Spoiler: Tophat's fight (click to show/hide)
1200 gold.

Spoiler: Mesor's fight (click to show/hide)
5200 gold.

Tomio didn't choose a fight for today.

And this ends Minotaur Friday - literally EVERYBODY fought minotaurs. They are the goblins of 2012 or something.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 14, 2012, 07:37:53 am »

I will buy full adamantine armor for Silus (3000), revive Ishar of course (150), and do the following stat increases:

Urshak +5 STR (750)
Urshak +2 END (100)
Urshak+2 AGI (300)
Silus +2 STR (300)

I will fight two cyclops' (Cyclopses? Cyclopsi?) for my next turn.

Spoiler: My team (click to show/hide)

I will collect the character sheets later today, and update them at the beginning of the thread, but I have to work for now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:02:13 am by Ishar »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 14, 2012, 08:37:54 am »

I'll take on Four gladiator champions

Spoiler: team status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:40:12 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2012, 09:44:02 am »

I actually did choose a fight...
No wait, fight a Gladiator Champion (human) and two tigers.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2012, 10:37:36 am »

That already happened, and you won 700 gold:

Spoiler: Here it is (click to show/hide)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 14, 2012, 11:05:01 am »

I'll give Dog adamantine armor (800), sell Cadmus' bronze armor and leather cloak (460), buy him dragonleather armor (2300), boost Mog and Medea to iron pikes (400) and get Mog Fire Shield Lv2 (200), and Medea Earthen Defence Lv2 (100).

I'll take on two ogres.

Spoiler: My team: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:06:46 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2012, 11:17:46 am »

Ooh! Fight two gladiator champs then. (humans, ofc)
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 18, 2012, 01:38:53 pm »

I'll fight 2 werewolves and 3 trolls.

Previous gold : 70
Prize money : 5200
Current gold : 5270
Sell Celeborns wooden buckler ( +50 )
Buy Adamantine buckler for Celeborn ( -560 )
Sell Freyas steel shield ( +480 )
But Adamantine shield for Freya ( -800 )
Sell Freyas Mithril armor, leggings, boots and helmet ( +1000 )
Buy Adamantine armor, leggings, boots and helmet ( -3000 )
Level 3 Multi heal for Radaghast ( -300 )
Level 4 Multi heal for Radaghast ( -400 )
Level 5 Multi heal for Radaghast ( -500 )
Freya Agility to 15 ( -950 )
Freya Endurance 11 ( -100 )
Thranduil Lightning arrow ( -100 )
Remaining gold : 90

Spoiler: My team (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:44:09 pm by mesor »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2012, 05:08:22 pm »

So... is it over?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 22, 2012, 05:18:41 am »

Damn, sorry, forgot I have the wed update now. It won't happen again.
I guess that means ElfCollaberator has the next turn.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 22, 2012, 08:36:53 am »

I'll do it later, I'm still in bed doing this from a smartphone and I'm too lazy to get to my laptop.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]